Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shared Folder Attributes Changed

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 altishima

altishima

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 03 November 2006 - 04:26 AM

:thumbsup: Win XP Home Vr 2002, SP 2

I realized something was wrong when I was trying to clear out some old music files as the Admin and it kept telling me access is denied. I looked at the properties on the folder and it was changed to Read-Only. I tried to simply uncheck that box and click apply but this is what came of that idea:

Posted Image

Is there any way to fix this so that I can remove the files I dont use from my pc?

All help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 03 November 2006 - 06:48 AM

See if one of these helps:
How To Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
How to set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions in Windows XP
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 03 November 2006 - 07:45 AM

I can see from the file structure that it is trying to change the status of the Incomplete Downloads folder. Have you had a look to see if this is being use by another user currently logged on.
This is normally the folder for peer to peer programs. If the program is still running this will stop you from changing the status as this is being constantly written to if a file is being downloaded.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

#4 altishima

altishima
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 08:45 PM

I read the info on the site and followed the advice.

I'm not sure I did it correctly but I have since handed the pc over to my mother who is quite a bit better at fixing pc's than am I.

Once I have the pc back in possession, I will outline the steps I took to make sure I did it correctly.

As of now, I am able to change the attributes of the folder as both admin and main user. I did not check the attributes on the guest account, but the problem seems to be corrected.

#5 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 07 November 2006 - 04:25 AM

It sounds like there was another user logged on at the same time then. As you were changing the all user account this will not work if there are other users using that folder. Also would be a issue if you were not the local admin to be able to make changes to the all users account settings.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users