Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice On Initial Boot Up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ccasey40

ccasey40

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 02 November 2006 - 11:28 PM

Having problems getting my machine to recognize windows xp home installation disc, went into bios and made sure cd rom was first boot device, upon restarting machine with xp disc in cd rom, computer prompts to press any key to boot from cd, after pressing enter key message appears stating inspecting your computers hardware configuration, then a blank screen and windows install disc fails to load. This is my first build ever so any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated or if there is something obvious that I have over-looked. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 02 November 2006 - 11:56 PM

Are you using PATA or SATA hard drive(s)? I had a drama getting my PC to initially identify that it was using a SATA drive, so it decided that it had no where to load the OS - and as such failed.
If you are using PATA (the standard older HDD), it may be the Windows Disk itself...
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 03 November 2006 - 08:50 AM

Since the disk loads and starts to examine the hardware you can presume that those components are good.

This leaves the CD itself and most likely the hard drive (although there are other possibilities)

Try to locate the setup log files on the hard drive to see if there's an error message:

XP creates the following log files:

* setupact.log-This log file contains a list of actions in chronological order that occurred during the graphical installation phase, such as file copies and registry changes. The OS also stores setup error log entries in this file. XP writes the setupact.log file to the %systemroot% folder (e.g., c:\windows).
* setuperr.log-This log file contains a list of errors that occurred during installation and their severity (this log file should be 0 bytes in size if no errors occurred during installation). XP writes the setuperr.log file to the %systemroot% folder.
* comsetup.log-This log file contains installation information about Optional Component Manager and COM+ components. XP writes the comsetup.log file to the %systemroot% folder.
* setupapi.log-XP writes information to the setupapi.log file each time a .inf file executes, including any errors. XP writes the setupapi.log file to the %systemroot% folder.
* netsetup.log-This log file contains information about workgroup and domain membership. XP writes the netsetup.log file to the \%systemroot%\debug folder.
* setup.log-The Recovery Console (RC) uses the setup.log file to gain information about the Windows installation during repair operations. XP writes the setup.log file to the \%systemroot%\repair folder.

from: http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/Articl...0200/40200.html

Here's a link to using the first one:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/driver/insta...etupapilog.mspx
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users