Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 98 Dvd Drive Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dan Leech

Dan Leech

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 02 November 2006 - 10:12 PM

Hi I'm new here :thumbsup:

I have a problem with a Laptop that i cannot figure out, and Windows 98 has been reinstalled multiple times using the restore cds, but to no avail.

I have a Compaq Presario 1825 notebook. Runs windows 98. Everytime i insert a cd or dvd into the dvd drive, Windows 98 will crash, and come up with a fault in VXD error. EVERYTIME! Windows 98 was reinstalled multiple times, and the same issue occurs. After the restore, it will work good for awhie when installing my apps, but then it goes back to crashing when a cd or dvd is inserted. Any ideas? I need Windows 98 on this in order for everything to work properly on the laptop. (Compaq Restore). Any ideas folks? Its out of warranty. But its a good laptop and i love it. Everything works aside from that. Its not the drive I'm sure, it works fine. But when ever anythings inserted in the drive it will go to the blue screen and come up with a fault in VXD error, and at that point i have to manually shut off. what could i do? Already tried multiple times to reinstall 98, but the same thing happens after a little while. :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2006 - 08:59 AM

Hi Dan.
It's important that you post the entire error message so that we have a starting point. :thumbsup:
I have a list of no less then 75 "vxd errors" produced by windows, most caused by different reasons.
If I had to "guess", I would say that an app or driver you installed along the line is most likely the culprit since you don't receive the error after a restore.

Edited by HitSquad, 03 November 2006 - 09:00 AM.

#3 Dan Leech

Dan Leech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2006 - 12:47 PM

problem fixed. got out my Win XP CD and computer works fine. Dumb Win 98.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users