Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardware Issue?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 markstanco

markstanco

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 02 November 2006 - 03:45 PM

Sam thought it might be wise I ask over here on what the issue may be.

Went through EVERYTHING and all is well. Any ideas? (see 1st post mainly, you will see my issues. Following posts are making sure that I dont have malware which I dont).

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/69125/explorerexe-maxes-out-in-safe-modecommon/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 02 November 2006 - 04:19 PM

From your first post in the HJT forums:

Here is the problem..

Hardware: Dell Inspiron 700m Laptop Windows XPPro
Pentium 1.6 ghz with 512 meg of ram
16 gig used on a 55 gig HD (pictures and music are kept externally ofr the most part)

1st, my computer takes maybe 4-5 minutes to startup! It actually has it's good days and bad days. dry.gif

I am running AVG, I also run Adaware, Ewido, and WinASO. I have now errors when running these scans.

Now if I try to startup in SAFEMODE, this is where some issues come about. Anything I try to open, explorer.exe will max out at 99-100%. Nothing opens, I can not even right click on an object. I stop the process and restart... same thing happens.

the next thing i tried was starting in safe mode and scanned it with all of the above software with a DIFFERENT computer networked to it. Same thing, maxed out the explorer.exe on THIS computer. I again ended the process and it started the scan. Nothing came up at ALL.

This is extremely frustrating. Another example... Outlook... it takes 1-2 minutes to simply open. ARGH!!

The first step is to check what startup items that you have - and what services are running.

Here's a tool for the startups: http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Autoruns.html

To check the services, use the Processes tab in Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del)

Let us know of any questionable items. Also, here's a nice free tool to let you know what's running under the svchost.exe processes (just hover your mouse over the entry): http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 02 November 2006 - 05:55 PM

"explorer.exe will max out at 99-100%"

I had that exact same problem, but it was from a very bad trojan. My computer eventually got so bad I had to reformat. But if it doesn't detect a virus I guess I wouldn't suggest it. I know that doesn't help anyway but just giving some input on an experience I've had :thumbsup:
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2006 - 08:42 AM

Just for yucks and giggles you may want to try this free, online scan of your system: http://safety.live.com/

It will:
- scan for malware
- clean your registry
- clean out your Temp files
- defrag your hard drive
- will check your oil (OK, I fibbed about this one! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 markstanco

markstanco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 10 November 2006 - 11:55 AM

Sorry for the delay, I was on business this past week.

John.... I ran the live.com free tool and found zero problems. I just scanned the system with those tools. Nothing really jumped out at me, other than the number of services I have running. I moused over and took a look at the files as well.

Now, can a trojan actually say it was published by MS or Intel?

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2006 - 09:17 PM

Yes, a trojan can say that it was published by MS or Intel. That's why it's so hard to get rid of them - they do their best to mimic genuine programs so they won't get found out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users