Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New To Server 2003

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dmont

dmont

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 02 November 2006 - 12:37 PM

I am currently running Windows Nt server. I have a new box and will be installing Server 2003 on it. I have already installed 2K3 and played with Active Directory, DNS, Print server and File server individually.
I have been successful in connecting a desktop (XP pro) to the domain (authenticate). However I am not authenticating to the file server at the same time. I can see the file server but when I click on it I get a second lon on screen. When I attempt to log on to the file server I get an error message saying that the account name and password have already been tried and failed. I can then use a different user name and password and connect to the file server. It doesn't make any difference which user name I use for the first or second log on....I can always authenticate to the domain controller but not the file server and it doesn't make any difference if I use an administrative account or a restricted account.

What I want to know is can I run AD, DNS, file server and print server all on the same box similar to what I do with an NT primary domain controller so that I am authenticated to the Domain controller (active directory) and the file server?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 17 November 2006 - 02:18 PM

Yes...there is no reason why you can have dns, ADS, etc etc all on the same box. Is the other box you are getting the authentication prompt from part of the domain and listed in active directory users and computers under the computers section?

If not you need to rejoin the domain and let it create a computer account in the domain.

#3 dmont

dmont
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2006 - 07:34 AM

I have all three (print server, file server & Domain controller) on one box and I am trying to get them to all authenticate with one log on.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2006 - 10:23 AM

I am a bit confused. So you have a Win 2003 server configured to be a domain controller? This server is also acting as a file server as well? I am assuming you did this through the Server configuration wizard.

If you are able to login into the domain, then you should have access automatically to the shares on that server. Have you made any public shares that can be remotely accessed?

#5 dmont

dmont
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2006 - 11:09 AM

Yep, they are on the same box. I am in a school and we have been running NT 4.0 so I am trying to emulate that environment of having a PDC and file server operating on the same box. Yes, I used the server wizard and yes I created some public shares.

When I log on from a client I authenticate to the Domain controller no problem. I cang drill down to the public shares on the file server but I am asked to log in a second time. If I try to use the same account that I used to log on to the DC I am denied access. I can use any second account and connect. It doesn't make any differenct what account I use to log on to the DC I am never automatically authenticated on the file server.

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2006 - 02:08 PM

This is strange..is the event viewer showing anything when you try to logon ?

#7 SRK62

SRK62

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 14 December 2006 - 09:38 AM

I am using w2k pro with sp4.How can I upgrade to w2003 with appropriate sp?Is it necessary?
I am not very computer savy.
Thanks in advance
SRK62

#8 dmont

dmont
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2006 - 10:16 AM

Grinler
I finally gave up and reinstalled the OS. Everything is working fine now. Thank you for your help

#9 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2006 - 10:40 AM

Srk,

Please create a new topic with your question.

Dmont,

Glad its working now. Something funky must have happened last time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users