Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Checking Of Computer Status

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 azure_fantist

azure_fantist

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 02 November 2006 - 07:21 AM

My desktop recently was infected with trojan horse. I download spybot, zone alarm and the AVG free edition. As i scanned, though it seems that i have deleted away the infected files, but i am still quite worried for the fact that my com is still might have virus in it...

So i have 2 questions:
1) How do you check that your com is working at its best condition like before?
2) Secondly, how do i check to see if my com is still being infected and is virus-freee?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 02 November 2006 - 07:52 AM

To be honest you are very reliant on the virus detaction programs to tell you if the virus is still on the machine. If you have done a scan and it is not picking up more files then assuming the virus definitions are upto date and you have the latest version of the virus program then you should be safe.

If you are still not sure then the only other thing that you could do is to run the task manager and have a lok through the running processes. Then if there is processes that you dont recognise then have a check on google to see what they are. This can soetime give you the wrong idea as some files can be recorded as a virus when they are a safe process. Just look through them with care. If you do have any worries about them then stop the process and make a note of the name. Then find the file that it is running and rename it with.old at the end. Make anote of this as it maybe needed as part of windows. Just so you can change it back if needed. Restatr windows. Does it all still work without the process running?
If so leave the file with the .old file structure. Viruses need to be running for it to do damage. So if it is not running ans it is on the machine it is not that much of a issue and hopefully when that virus is defined in a update of your AV program it will get detected and deleted if it is malicious.

The other way would be to remove the HDD and run it in another machine and run a virus scanner on the slave drive. This will check the disk with none of the processes runing from that disk. Basically making sure that the virus is not tampering with the AV program.

There is a cd called "The Ultimate Boot CD Version 4" that can be run on the system and this basically runs up a slave version of windows on the possibly infected machine. It has some AV programs loaded on it so you can check from there when no processes are running.

Personnaly I would say that if the Virus scanner detected there was a virus and it deleted it then you should be safe. It normally will make sure all components related to the virus are removed. Trojans are normally just single files these days so if it is removed that is normally all that is needed to remove the infection.

But at the end of the day get as many points of view you can and then make a decision on your course of action.
Posted Image

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 02 November 2006 - 08:16 AM

How do you tell? Well, that's a difficult question. You can run benchmark programs to see if the computer is performing well - but you'll need a benchmark from before the problems to compare it to.

I generally just rely on how it "feels" to me. If it feels slower, then I work on finding out what's slowing it down. If it feels "quirky", then I work on finding the cause of the quirks.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users