Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Back Trojan Horse

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 azure_fantist

azure_fantist

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 02 November 2006 - 05:56 AM

About a week ago, my laptop got a 'BackDoor Trojan Horse' virus. Then Windows directs me to download AVG Virus scan and i did that. Though having did that, i still have that the virus is stayed input in the laptop.

Before i downloaded the AVG, i have symatech antivirus in the com. But after AVG remove the virus that is found, the symatech still detect virus. Every time when i start the com, it pops up 2 to 3 symatech windows sayin that there is still virus.

I remove and remove a few times and yet, it pops up.
So, other than just scanning and removing, here are my qns:
1) is there any other ways to make sure that my com is virus-free?
2) Or has my laptop already been affected?
3) I download anime series from MiRc, is that why i get that virus?
4) Lastly, any safety measures to prevent from happening other than not dllin from MiRc if possible?

Really need help for this problem, for there are a lot of important documents in there.

Please and thanks.

Edited by azure_fantist, 02 November 2006 - 05:57 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 02 November 2006 - 12:57 PM

What OS (Win XP/2000, etc) are you using? Did you try doing a scan in "SAFE MODE"? Have you performed any anti-spyware scans?

Are you using both AVG and NAV together on your computer? The concern with using more than one anti-virus program is due to conflicts that can arise when both are in real-time mode simultaneously. Anti-virus software componets insert themselves into the operating systems core and using more than one can cause instability, crash your computer, slow performance and waste system resources. When actively running in the background while connected to the Internet, they both may try to update their defintion databases are the same time. As the programs compete for resources required to download the necessary files this often can result in sluggish system performance or unresponsive behavior.

Each anti-virus will often interpret the activity of the other as a virus and there is a greater chance of them alerting you to "False Positives". If one finds a virus and then the other also finds the same virus, both programs will be competing over exclusive rights on dealing with that virus. Each anti-virus will attempt to seize the offending file and quarantine it. If one finds and quarantines the file before the other one does, then you encounter the problem of both wanting to scan each other's zipped or archived files and each reporting the other's quarantined contents. This can lead to a repetivite cycle of endless alerts that continually warn you that a virus has been found.

Symantec strongly recommends that you run only one antivirus program at a time. See here. I suggest you remove and use only one anti-virus.

What OS (Win XP/2000, etc) are you using? Did you try doing a scan in "SAFE MODE"? Have you performed any anti-spyware scans?

If your running Win XP/2000, download and scan with AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 in "SAFE MODE".
(This is Ewdio 4.0 renamed. If you already have Ewido installed, please update to this version which has a special "clean driver" for removing persistent malware.) Be sure to print out the AVG Anti-Spyware Install-Scan Instructions and read the User Manual.

Then perform this online Virus scan: Trend Micro Housecall <- Use "Autoclean" and manually delete what it can't clean.
[Watch the Address bar in IE. You may receive alerts that "This site might require the following ActiveX control...Click here to install...". Click on that alert and then Click Install ActiveX component.]
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users