Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Don't Understand How To Use Parts Of Internet Explorer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Luvkitty

Luvkitty

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 01 November 2006 - 11:10 PM

Okay, I feel really dumb asking this question, but here goes. I've been using AOL for so long that I kind of get stuck with certain parts of other browsers. I'm trying to stop using AOL altogether, but until I can figure out how to use Internet Explorer better, then I'm more comfortable with AOL.

I'm going to post a link to the screen that comes up when I'm using IE. I just happen to be on Bleeping Computer, too!! :thumbsup: One of the problems that I can't figure out is HOW TO CLOSE A PAGE I'M ON IN ORDER TO GO TO ANOTHER PAGE. For example, I'm on Bleeping Computer, and if I want to close this page or minimize this page so that I can go to, let's say TinyPic.com, how do I do it? IE says they use these things called tabs, but I can't figure out how they work. I've also tried doing what I do on AOL which is clicking on the orange 'x' to close a page and the white line to minimize it. These are in the upper right corner. If I do this when I'm on IE, I end up on the Desktop. What do I do?????

Is there something that is a little more user friendly? I liked AOL's email and Favorites list and ease of using the minimize and close icons, but I HATE AOL. Any advice is welcome!!

Thanks!!!
Michele

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 02 November 2006 - 12:02 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hellish

Hellish

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 01 November 2006 - 11:28 PM

There should be a button next to the tab you're on and when you hover it says something along the lines of "new tab".

Also, going to file and clicking new tab opens a new tab. Or just hit [Ctrl] + T. You can pick from the three. From there click on a tab to go to it.

I hope this helps you some :thumbsup:

Edit: On a personal note, i'd recommend Firefox. It just has grown on me, and it's themes/add-ons make it a great thing for a person who likes customizing their internet experience.

Edited by Hellish, 01 November 2006 - 11:36 PM.

#3 Dngrsone

Dngrsone

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2006 - 01:05 AM

I also use Firefox, but there are some site that will not work with it and I am forced to use IE anyway.

Right-clicking a tab should give you an option to close that tab.
Posted Image

#4 Luvkitty

Luvkitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2006 - 01:44 AM

I know that right clicking on the tab SHOULD close it, but that option is grayed out so I can' tclick on it. Also, I don't know what button you're referring to that I should hover over. Can you maybe circle it on my picture?

Thanks!
Michele

#5 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2006 - 11:16 AM

I also use Firefox, but there are some site that will not work with it and I am forced to use IE anyway.

Have you tried the "user agent switcher" ext. ? should work for eveywhere except for sites that need active x (a huge attack vector from what I've heard)

Sorry I know nothing of tabs in IE

Edited by no one, 02 November 2006 - 11:17 AM.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#6 Hellish

Hellish

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2006 - 04:16 PM

http://tinyurl.com/y77ef4

The circled items open a new tab in IE7

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users