Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Live Mail Desktop And Messenger

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rvord

rvord

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 01 November 2006 - 10:52 PM

Hi everyone.

I just have a quick question. Tonight I downloaded Windows Live Mail Desktop to tinker around with it and see if I liked it. One thing that instantly turned me off was that when the program is started it automatically launches Windows Live Messenger. I was wondering if there was anyway for me to stop that from happening.

I looked around in the options, and I can stop it from automatically logging me into the messenger, but I wasn't able to find anyway to actually stop it from launching.

I understand that there might not be anyway to stop it. If that's the case I think I'll uninstall it, but if I could find a solution I think it might be pretty sweet.

Thanks in advance.

* I just realized I probably posted this in the wrong forum but I can't figure out how to move it. Sorry, I'm a noob.

Edited by rvord, 01 November 2006 - 10:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 01 November 2006 - 10:57 PM

Try using Startup Inspector - a freeware ap to manage your startup menu, programs that start when Windows starts.
Disable Live Messenger and any other program that does not need to be running in the background taking system resources. (be careful not to disable your firewall, antivirus and anti-malware aps)

Startup Inspector (manages startup menu helps you identify aps in the startup menu so you can disable unnecessary programs from running in the background when they are not needed)

And

Startup Monitor (a small freeware ap available on the same page to notify you and require your permission for any program to add itself to your startup menu)

http://www.windowsstartup.com/download.php

#3 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 02 November 2006 - 08:20 AM

I think this is just the way that the new programs work. It will sign you in automatically if it notices that you have a MSN login.

If you are wanting it to stop it from launching I don't hink it is possible. But on the other hand you could make it so that when it loads MSN it shows you to apear offline.
Do this by simply opening MSN before you run the Live desktop. Before you press singin you will see there is a drop down box that will show how you wish to be logged into MSN. Change the status to "Apear Offline" this will mean that whenever MSN signs in it will show you as offline and you will not get people MSNing you when you just want to check your emails.
Posted Image

#4 rvord

rvord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 02 November 2006 - 09:37 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the responses.

My MSN live messenger doesn't launch when I startup my computer, it launches whenever I open Windows Live Mail. I was just wondering if there was a way I could tweak it so I could just run the mail program without the messenger launching. I'm guessing there isn't though.

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users