Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Network For 40 People

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DamSexy

DamSexy

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 01 November 2006 - 10:08 PM

I am currently living in student accomodation and the network set up here is really poor. There are 40 people living here. Can someone please tell me what wireless router I should be using and should there be more than just one router?
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 02 November 2006 - 04:28 AM

Almost any residential router will handle that number. The real question will be will you have the bandwidth to satisfy that many users.
Use one router and add Wireless Access Points to extend your range if the router cannot cover the entire structure. I would also recommend setting up everyone with a static IP address. Chances are you are going to have a bunch of users connection and disconnecting from the system, mainly notebook computer. This may cause conflicts with IP addresses if you use DHCP. If you are in charge the last thing you want is to have a resident beating on your door at 3 am because the router assigned the same LAN IP to, two computers.
Also encrypt your LAN. You will be temped to leave it open for easy of access but that will lead to disaster.
Both Linksys and DLink make excellent routers.
One more thing. You may want to may a CD of freeware security software and give it to each user. That would help a little toward making a more secure LAN.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 02 November 2006 - 10:25 AM

I personnaly if pt in your shoes would make sure the woreless router has support for Mac address filtering. This will stop the need for using static IP addressing. DHCP is the way to go it will make sure that no PC will have the same address. No matter how many people log on and off the system. This does depend on the address range you give it. I would say you should keep the time to drop IP about 1 day. This will mean if a PC drops and it tries to reconnect it will automatically be given the same IP.
Make sure it also has a hardware firewall and NAT support.
MAC address filtering is one of the most important things for you to have in this sort of setup. Basically it will stop anyone without a declared MAC address from even seeing that there is a Wireless router arround. This will make sure that people will not even be able to use WEP Hacking tools or WPA hacks.

Just a thought.
Posted Image

#4 DamSexy

DamSexy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 03 November 2006 - 07:16 PM

Thank you very much for your help. Just two more questions. The internet connection is 2meg, is that enough for 40 people or should it be upgraded to something faster?
And the router being used here at the moment keeps on disconnecting. Every once in a while it will just stop working and it has to be reset in order for it to work again. do you have any idea why this is?
Posted Image

#5 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 09:00 AM

It could be a router issue. Have a check with the manufacturer and see if has been a reported bug. It also could be loss of ADSL signal that is causing it and the modem does not auto redial. These are a couple of reasons. It really depends on which side the error is happening on. Try asking the provider to monitor the line and see if it is a loss of sync issue.

I would say 2Mb would be fine for normal user for 40 people but again it is all down to its use. What sort of things will the Internet connection be used for. With out knowing the use for the connection it would be hard to say. If it is purely for Internet usage it will be fine. If you are looking for a solution for all 40 people to be streaming Video and downloading and also doing remote backups to a hosted site then this will not be enough. It is all dependant on your usage.
If you can advise roughly the status of yoour use then it will be easier to advise.
Posted Image

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 12:59 PM

Thank you very much for your help. Just two more questions. The internet connection is 2meg, is that enough for 40 people or should it be upgraded to something faster?

I would have to agree with projectfocus. If you are researching files or sending single bank\account transactions (POS, ATM, or articles) you will have more than enough. If it is all 40 are sending large multi-megabyte file you may or may not have enough. I would run with it as is for a while. The Teleco will always be willing to upgrade.

And the router being used here at the moment keeps on disconnecting. Every once in a while it will just stop working and it has to be reset in order for it to work again. do you have any idea why this is?

Again projectfocus has the best approach. Research and see if there is a firmware update for that router, or tech notes on the manufacture's website related to this problem. You may also want to call the teleco and have them run a line check to see if you have faulty wiring on their end.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users