Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Firefox 1.5 Help Please.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 buttoni

buttoni

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 01 November 2006 - 09:54 PM

I've only been using Firefox 1.5 for three days (tried 2.0 & had problems). I have searched here, and on MozilaZine knowledgebase for this answer but cannot find the exact help I need.

I want to know how to embed a clickable link in the body of a Yahoo email. I use Yahoo Mail exclusively (no other mail clients). I read about how File, Send Link works, but that invokes an Outlook dialog box (Windows system default mail provider) and I don't want to use Outlook. I have chosen not to install ATT's Browser software (which sets mail default to Yahoo Mail) because it has redclientapps spyware buried throughout. But I use their homepage and when I click the mail envelope, it takaes me to Yahoo Mail.

I also want to be able to embed links on user forums like this one and just can't see how to do this in Firefox.

Firefox doesn't seem to have a Tools setting like IE's Internet Options, Advanced, "Always Underline Links" that will make any www or http:// addresses I type a clickable link. Please tell me Firefox has this capability!
HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2006 - 10:28 PM

I am doing a link test from Yahoo Mail using Ff, and, while waiting for the results, let me answer the last part of your question about putting clickable links in forums such as BC. This requires the use of BBCode formatting tags, and has nothing to do with the browser you are using. However, available for Firefox is the excellent extension:BBCodeXtra. which helps automate the use of BBCode tags for all sorts of forum formatting needs.
Or you may click on BB Code Help at the bottom of "Clickable Smilies" on the left of the entry box to find the proper tags to use for URLS.

My test from Yahoo using Firefox (2.0 but there is no functional difference with 1.5x in this area) did not find any problems with copying and pasting a link from the Ff address bar into the text and having the address show correctly when I received it in a Gmail inbox. You may want to check the Mail Options/General Preferences in Yahoo Mail to make sure you do not have "compose messages as plain text" checked.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 buttoni

buttoni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2006 - 12:44 PM

Thanks for the speedy reply, John. I knew it would be simple, I just couldn't see it explained in the Firefox documentation anywhere on-line.

Will test by doing a copy/paste link for my favorite rat terrier forum here using your method and see if your method works:

http://www.ratlover.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12

I don't have "Compose email in plain text" checked in my Yahoo mail, so it should work when I try it again, your way. At first I was just typing the URL, because that is what I had always done in IE; this time I'll copy/paste it in as you suggest. Will post how that attempt goes. And thanks for the BBCodeXtra extension tip. Will check that one out. So far I'm only using NoScript and AdblockerPlus, both working as advertised.
HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

#4 buttoni

buttoni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2006 - 02:13 PM

Well, as you can see, John, the copy/paste routine worked to post a link here on the forum. :thumbsup: But in Yahoo Mail Compose screen, copy/paste of a link into the body of my email just shows it as regular typed text, not an underlined link. :flowers: Recipient confirmed she could copy/paste it into her address bar to go to the site, but it wasn't underlined & highlighted as a clickable link on the received end either (she also has Yahoo Mail). EDIT: I forget she uses a MAC. A Windows user in my group confirmed she was able to click on my link, it just didn't appear to be underlined like links at my end.

Then I even tried typing the URL tags around said url (in case that's what Firefox/Yahoo Mail needed). Both times recipient said it appeared simply as typed text and not as an underlined clickable link. Maybe I will just have to ask people to copy/paste my email links into their address bar. :trumpet: Can't find any other settings in Yahoo Mail Options/Preferences that would impact this particular function.

Edited by buttoni, 02 November 2006 - 03:40 PM.

#5 buttoni

buttoni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2006 - 03:07 PM

I just had one more thought. I have not yet made Firefox my "default" brouwser yet. Should I now do this? And could this be a factor with the links not appearing to be underlined on my screen?

Actually I intended to post a separate inquiry about setting the "default" browser. What ramifications are there to setting Firefox be my default browser? Will Windows updates & Automatic Updates still be able to access IE without problems if I do this? And will I be able to go to the internet using IE whenever a particular website requires it without problems or additional hassle?

Are there any other "hidden" repercussions I can expect with Windows XP SP2 when I make Firefox my default browser? Right now my Set Program Access & Defaults reads "Custom", Use my Current Browser(Use My Current Email Program....etc, etc, for all the settings on that list).

This may not have anything to do with my original problem with email links.

Edited by buttoni, 02 November 2006 - 03:44 PM.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 02 November 2006 - 03:51 PM

Making Firefox your default browser, will cause any links clicked in exterior applications (such as in E-mails), to open in Firefox , instead of in IE.
This will not cause you to loose any of the functionality of IE, as you can use as many browsers on your computer, as your resources can handle.
Windows Updates, and Automatic Updates, will work the same way they always did.

For when you have trouble viewing some pages in Firefox, you can use the IE View extension.
It lets you load pages in IE with a single right-click, or mark certain sites to *always* load in IE.

When composing E-mail in Yahoo, have you tried using the Create Hyperlink icon, to create a clickable link?
Posted Image

Edited by tg1911, 02 November 2006 - 04:12 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2006 - 04:17 PM

I tried this myself as well. When composing an email in Yahoo, copying>pasting a link does not show up active/clickable. It does show up active when recieved. If you want to see the link active when you are composing an email, before you paste the link, click on the Create Hyperlink button in the toolbar. It's the one next to the smiley face. When the dialouge box pops up, be sure to remove the http:// that is already in there, otherwise the link will not work.

#8 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2006 - 04:19 PM

Oops. tg1911 & I posted at the same time. Sorry.

Edited by hillbillygreek, 02 November 2006 - 04:22 PM.

#9 buttoni

buttoni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2006 - 08:59 PM

Thanks so much TG and HBG for your speedy replies & informative tips.

No, TG, I have never used that hyperlink icon. The reason, I thought hyperlinks were different from ordinary links. IE just automatically underlined all www or http addresses, so I never had to do anything more. Will use it from now on, though, as I'm really liking Firefox so far. I guess I will go on and designate it as my default browser. I did read something about the IEView extension somewhere (either here or BBR) and will definitely check that one out! :thumbsup: That could prove useful in future!

HBG, thanks for testing this out on your machine. Makes me feel better it wasn't just my setup. IE just spoiled me. And thanks for the heads up about the http:// removal for the link to be viable.

Once again, speedy help here at BC. :flowers: I'm off to explore Firefox some more now. I installed NoScript and Adblocker Plus and really like them both. Sooooo easy to use. Thanks again, guys.

Edited by buttoni, 03 November 2006 - 05:33 PM.

#10 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2006 - 09:44 PM

You're welcome, buttoni.
Glad to be of help.

Another extension you might want to check out, is BBCodeXtra.
It's an extension, which adds to the context menu new commands to insert BBCode, which is what is used on this board for formatting text (Bold, Italics, Quote, etc.).
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#11 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2006 - 09:48 AM

Since you like Ff so much, and rightly so too, seriously consider upgrading to the latest stable version, 2.0 released last week. The new version contains improvements "under the hood" but also a very nice spell-checker for web-input (such as the BC forum).
Regards.
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#12 buttoni

buttoni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2006 - 05:33 PM

John, I did try out Fx 2.0 for a couple of days. Liked the spell checker! But 2.0's executable would rapidly increase its memory usage per Task Manager while I was on the net. Firefox.exe showed around 22,000KB when first went on net and within hour or so on the internet, would be at 54,000 and before long it would be up to six digits! I only have 512MB ram on this machine. Closing Firefox and logging back in would drop it immediately back down to 22,000kb or so, but going online began the upward climb each time. If I left Task Mgr open, could literally watch the figure constantly increasing every few seconds.

Several discussions on BBR and other forums indicate this is a memory leak problem Mozilla hasn't addressed very successfully. Don't know if its the webpage Link Prefetching doing it or what, but 1.5 is doing this, but the memory escalates much slower in 1.5. I understand both versions have page Link Prefetching. I searched over on MozillaZine knowledgebase how to reduce the memory usage effect caused by Link Prefetch, but not sure I'm willing to do all that. Sounded a abit complicated for me. Printed out the instructions, but will have to get up my nerve before trying that. Knowing me, I'd screw it up!

Edited by buttoni, 03 November 2006 - 05:35 PM.

#13 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2006 - 06:14 PM

I searched over on MozillaZine knowledgebase how to reduce the memory usage effect caused by Link Prefetch, but not sure I'm willing to do all that. Sounded a abit complicated for me.

It's not hard at all, buttoni.

You can limit RAM usage by limiting browser cache size, and by disabling link prefetching.
Here's a step-by-step for both.

Limit RAM Usage By Limiting Browser Cache:

Double click the blank space, in the Tab Bar.
This will open a new, blank tab.
In the Address Bar, type; about:config
Click Enter.
Scroll down to, and double click, browser.cache.disk.capacity.
This will open the Enter interger value dialog box.
Change the value to:
For 128MB to 512M of RAM, try 5000
For 512BM to 1GB of RAM, start with 15000
Click the OK button.
Exit about:config.
Close, then reopen Firefox.

Disable Link Prefetching:

Link prefetching is when a webpage hints to the browser that certain pages are likely to be visited, so the browser downloads them immediately so they can be displayed immediately when the user requests it. This preference controls whether link prefetching is enabled.

For sites that use prefetching, disabling this preference will decrease the amount of bandwidth used, but increase the time required to navigate sites.

To disable:
Double click the blank space, in the Tab Bar.
This will open a new, blank tab.
In the Address Bar, type; about:config
Click Enter.
Scroll down to, and double click, network.prefetch-next.
This will change the value form true, to false.

I play around in about:config all the time.
In fact, I've changed the the Tabs in Ff 2.0, so they look, and act, like the Tabs in previous versions.
I got rid of the "X" on the individual tabs, moving it to the right side of the Tab Bar, and I got rid of the scrolling arrows that show up, when you have too many Tabs open.
I didn't care for those 2 new features.

The good news is your cannot mess anything up permanently.
Changes made to about:config are stored in a file (user.js) that is not present by default in the Mozilla profile folder.
To go back to the bone stock configuration, simply delete that file and it's like the changes never happened.

Edited by tg1911, 03 November 2006 - 07:15 PM.

#14 buttoni

buttoni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2006 - 05:03 PM

Well I have to admit, your instructions sound much simpler than what I read in the knowledgebase. Will give both changes a try. Thanks for the quick lesson, Tg1911.

#15 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2006 - 05:14 PM

You're welcome, buttoni.
Hope I was able to take some of the confusion out of it.

At the bottom of the individual directions, where it says:

You can make both of the changes first, then exit about:config, and restart Firefox.
It doesn't have to be restarted, after each change.

Edited by tg1911, 04 November 2006 - 05:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users