Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screwed Up Security Policies

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wmcdon7160

wmcdon7160

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 01 November 2006 - 07:33 PM

I am running XP Pro SP2 and IE7

I was trying to access a new security camera installation and it kept asking me for ActiveX permission. I kept saying 'install', but it still finally said that it would not install a program because the publisher could not be verified. I added to the trusted sites... but no change.

I edited the Group Policy and Security Policy, the IE-->Tools options

Now it tells me... "your security settings do not allow websites to use ActiveX controls installed on your computer..."

It also won't start MSN Messenger or MS Defender saying the services can't start because of security settings.

I've tried System Restore, but it didn't fix anything??

Is there anyway to reset everything?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 02 November 2006 - 08:10 AM

Security systems use a lot of proprietary software and hardware. I've found that the best place to find fixes for these problems is at the system maker's website.

Just a thought - but did this start to occur after installing IE7? It could be a problem with the new "protected mode" that IE7 uses.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 wmcdon7160

wmcdon7160
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 02 November 2006 - 11:30 AM

Thanks, but this is simply the windows settings in gpedit.msc, secpol.msc and IE Tools. Everything was working fine before I made changes in those areas, so I'd still like to know how to reset those to the windows defaults.

As far as the "protected mode" goes. What is it and how do I edit it?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 02 November 2006 - 02:18 PM

I haven't looked at the policies for IE7 yet, so I'm of no help there.

Protected mode is built into IE7 and it's supposed to offer more protection while you surf. You can disable it in the Security policies, but once again I'm not familiar with it.

My main concern with it is that I couldn't open a document on my local system in the same set of tabs that I surf the web with. I keep a tab open in my browser with my bookmarks displayed - and since IE7 wouldn't do it, I switched back to Firefox.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users