Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Good Vs Evil

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 locally pwned

locally pwned

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 01 November 2006 - 06:39 PM

There are a lot of games these days that give you the option of playing as a "good" character, a "villain," and everything in between.

Seems like there are a lot of folks that enjoy playing for the "bad guys." I am not one of them! I just can't do it.

In Freelancer, I tend to aim for neutrality with most factions because I enjoy the trading aspect of the game. Just for kicks, now and again I will go hunt down a transport with some expensive cargo on it, blow it up, and take the booty. It just doesn't feel...right...

Same thing with Knights of the Old Republic. Beating/killing NPC's so they will hand over a few extra credits just doesn't sit well with me. After I finished the game as a good Jedi, I figured I'd unlock the extra story lines and play as a Dark Jedi. Within a half an hour I was already settling for "kinda dark." Then it was, "Eh, nuts to this."

This all just strikes me as odd. It's a freakin' computer game, and I feel bad for the characters in it! How very strange. I guess I thought it was an interesting anomaly when you take into consideration the current cultural belief that video games make people violent... :thumbsup:
"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 01 November 2006 - 06:55 PM

If i had a choice between good or evil, i would probably choose evil in a video game. I like the freedom of being able to do what i want, when i want in a game. If that means going on a rampage through the town and mowing down hundreds of civilians, so be it.... just call me evil and give me bonuses!!!

However, that's not to say i don't enjoy being a good guy. I love pwning zombies or hordes of monsters....

#3 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 01 November 2006 - 07:06 PM

Hmm that is a rough choice. I'd have to say I'd just go with the flow depending on what the game's objectives are. Needless to say we all get frustrated and get the urge to pop some NPC's because of some bug or AI problem. It mainly depends on the game really and if a good/bad guy makes a move against me first, thus giving me a reason to do whatever I want.

Playing Defcon definatly makes me feel sad for the fake people that I just wasted. Same thing in Rome: Total War. I feel bad and evil at the same time when I have to build an army, urge one of my large city's to rebel just to send that army in and destroy the rebel army, only then to execute like 3/4ths of the population not only for the money, but to ensure that I don't have to worry about that city trying to rebel for at least a good number of turns.

#4 Nat Sci

Nat Sci

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 01 November 2006 - 10:59 PM

Most of the times when yuor the bad guy, in your opinion your the good guy. EX: GTA, you try to make your like good, help your family etc. But you always end up killing someone good/bad.
Legend has it that... If you put an AOL disc the opposite way and play it you can hear devilish music... Even worse if you put it the right way... IT INSTALLS AOL!
Click here 3 times for $100,000<--- I mean .00001 dollars.

#5 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 02 November 2006 - 08:43 AM

I tend to be good, but that's because the evil choice in most Good/evil games stinks. The evil choices aren't cool and malevolent evil, but rather brutal and petty evil. It always seems like the evil dude isn't so much evil as a little short in the IQ department. Going on a rampage isn't really evil, it is mostly just short-sighted. Not knowing the difference between good and evil doens't make you evil, you're evil if you know but just don't care.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#6 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 07:35 AM

I'm always evil first, as I enjoy running around doing what I want when I want and how I want it. When I got Fable when it first came out, I had horns and flies around me the first few days I played it. By the end of the game, I couldn't get a girl to save my life, people ran away from me usually screaming (which made it all the more fun to kill them when I caught them!) and town folk ran me out of town upon my entering. Yep, that was the grand life. After I beat it being all evil, I started over and was a saint! The towns folk loved me, I had girls banging down my door, and people cheered when I was around!

Either way, it's always fun doing both, but I tend to do evil first just so I can have that much more fun causing mayhem everyplace I go! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users