Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Need A New Cpu & Video Card For My Computer

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mike160

mike160

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 01 November 2006 - 05:21 PM

:thumbsup: hello everyone,
i have a compaq presario sr1010nx with a Intel® Celeron® CPU 2.70GHz processor and a video card that is a Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller (Intel® 82845G Graphics Controller) and i would like to see if anyone can help me out i am trying to find out if this can be upgrade the Intel® Celeron® CPU 2.70GHz processor to something way faster and also my video card if it could be done what would be the best to go with sorry i ask not to good with computers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 01 November 2006 - 06:04 PM

It is possible to get a new cpu but you would need to get a new motherboard if you want a pentium or athlon processor. I would suggest building a new PC if you really want proformance.

Celeron processors are really just used for surfing the internet and checking your e-mail etc not playing recent games or doing anything to graphical.

Edited by ComputerWhizz7, 01 November 2006 - 06:07 PM.

I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#3 mike160

mike160
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2006 - 06:18 PM

It is possible to get a new cpu but you would need to get a new motherboard if you want a pentium or athlon processor. I would suggest building a new PC if you really want proformance.

Celeron processors are really just used for surfing the internet and checking your e-mail etc not playing recent games or doing anything to graphical.

hi ComputerWhizz7,
i was thinking of gething me a Core 2 Duo would i also need to get a new motherboard for the Core 2 Duo and i also wanted to ask you is the pentium or athlon the one you were talking about the best one out there caues i need something with proformance fast and also when you say that you suggest building a new PC if i really want proformance what do you mean what kind of thing would i need to get i dont even know were to start am not to good with computer

Edited by mike160, 01 November 2006 - 06:34 PM.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2006 - 11:24 PM

What kind of budget do you have?

#5 mike160

mike160
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2006 - 10:50 AM

What kind of budget do you have?

hi Enthusiast
i dont realy have a budget on what i can spend but i cant realy spend to much on this but i do need me something faster ComputerWhizz7 was telling me that he suggest building a new PC if i really want proformance but i dont even know were to start

Edited by mike160, 06 November 2006 - 10:56 AM.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 08 November 2006 - 11:08 AM

It's not only your budget (IMO) that you should consider - but also where you want to be in a couple of years with your system.

System obsolescence is a fact of life these days. If you want to ensure good performance with new software then you'll have to invest more. Yesterday I was talking with a guy who wanted to upgrade his RAM and video card. But he was so near the point (expense wise) that it was actually cheaper to buy a new system than to fix and upgrade the old one.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 mike160

mike160
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2006 - 12:38 AM

It's not only your budget (IMO) that you should consider - but also where you want to be in a couple of years with your system.

System obsolescence is a fact of life these days. If you want to ensure good performance with new software then you'll have to invest more. Yesterday I was talking with a guy who wanted to upgrade his RAM and video card. But he was so near the point (expense wise) that it was actually cheaper to buy a new system than to fix and upgrade the old one.

hi usasma,
i was thinking of buying a new system with a better processor but i just bought this computer like a year ago and about 2 months ago i upgrade my memory ram on this computer and i also had to buy a dvd drive for it caues it came with out one thats why i think the best thing is to just upgrade the processor on this computer and also the video card isant to good so i think it would be a good idea to upgrade that to but i dont know what would be the best processor out there or video card to go with any advice on one i was thinking of the core 2 duo processor i need something fast for gameing and to be able to run multiple programs at once with out slowing down

#8 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 11 November 2006 - 01:22 AM

Just looked up the SR1010 at hp.com

here is a link to the motherboard layout: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...mp;lang=en#N852

your board is capable of handling up to a P4, (Socket 478 for Intel P4 Williamette and Northwood processors) up to 2.8 GHZ

up to two gig of ram, but no AGP or PCIE video cards

the power supply is only rated for 250w I would recommend a new computer.

Just to upgrade this one, you would have to replace the power supply, motherboard, processor and ram, and purchase a good video card, and the windows that came withe the compaq cannot be re installed from the recovery partition when you change to a different Motherboard.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#9 mike160

mike160
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2006 - 03:25 AM

Just looked up the SR1010 at hp.com

here is a link to the motherboard layout: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...mp;lang=en#N852

your board is capable of handling up to a P4, (Socket 478 for Intel P4 Williamette and Northwood processors) up to 2.8 GHZ

up to two gig of ram, but no AGP or PCIE video cards

the power supply is only rated for 250w I would recommend a new computer.

Just to upgrade this one, you would have to replace the power supply, motherboard, processor and ram, and purchase a good video card, and the windows that came withe the compaq cannot be re installed from the recovery partition when you change to a different Motherboard.

hi oldf@rt,
so if i would get a Socket 478 for Intel P4 Williamette and Northwood processors 1.4GHZ to 2.8GHz which you were telling me that my motherboard is capable of handling i would only need to get me the processors and not the mortherboard to right or would i still need to get me a new motherboard to

Edited by mike160, 11 November 2006 - 03:27 AM.

#10 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 11 November 2006 - 11:26 AM

you would just have to get the processor, but your machine still could not handle a new video card.

you could upgrade to a 2.8 ghz p4 at the most, which in my opinion, would not be a great increase over the 2.7 ghz celeron.

in the earlier comment to upgrade to a Core series processor you would practically replace the whole computer.

OF
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#11 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2006 - 07:02 PM

Yeah if your planning on upgrading a 2.7 Ghz celeron processor you should definetly get core 2 duo or you won't notice much of a difference. To get core 2 duo though you would need a new motherboard, and I think most of those use DDR2 so you would have to buy all new ram, so pretty much you should just buy/build a new computer if you want to upgrade your processor.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 12 November 2006 - 09:10 AM

In short, anything you do to upgrade this particular system won't be real noticeable.

But building a new system is expensive. Take a look at this link for some ideas: http://arstechnica.com/guides/buyer/system-guide-200608.ars
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users