Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton 2006?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kev25v6

kev25v6

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 01 November 2006 - 04:32 PM

Is Norton Internet Security Suite 2006 any good for AV? or would AVG free be better with Zone Alarm firewall?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 01 November 2006 - 04:57 PM

I would use the AVG. I and many others here use it. NAV seems to be a system hog and difficult. Also difficult to remove. The ZA firewall is also good tho I use a different one.
There are some other choices here also
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 kev25v6

kev25v6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 01 November 2006 - 06:12 PM

The Norton AV comes free with my new computer. Ive used avg for the past year and not really had a big problem while using it. I just wondered if it was worth keeping norton but with it slowing computers down a lot i might just delete it.Thanks.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 02 November 2006 - 08:27 PM

Hi, A couple of points to share.
I'd recommend AVG, but the choice is yours. Actually I've paid for AV in the past and if I were to pay again I think I'd go back to Panda before Norton (Symantec).,having used both.
The NAV that you are getting is a trial,then you need to subscribe. You may know this,but want to be sure.
Take a read at these posts,it may help with the final decision.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34671/how-to-remove-your-norton-products/

And just to be sure again. Use only 1 firewall ,1 AV and several spyware apps. Which of these are you using now?
Another note,install AVG before uninstalling NAV,if this is the situation.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Zapuraas

Zapuraas

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 13 January 2007 - 10:07 AM

I do not know if you have the resources to aquire it, but if you do, I would recommend Symantec's Corporate edition AV software. Version 10.1.5.5000 is current. I know it's available on Emule.
I was part of a team that did evals of AV apps for the state gov't where I live, and I was not at all a fan of symantec, but their corporate AV package was so far superior to anything else we tested, it was a no brainer.
Just install it, update your defs and set it up to check for def updates automatically. I've never had a system infected except a few that got hit within that very small window of a virus coming out and an update coming available for it.

Regards,
Zap

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users