Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is This Any Good?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 kev25v6

kev25v6

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 01 November 2006 - 04:15 PM

Im getting this as a replacement for my old computer that was damaged from my insurers, is it any good?
I did have a AMD Duron 1.3Ghz so this will be better but is it a decent pc?

Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo P
Chassis Micro ATX
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4 524
Speed, FSB, L2 Cache 3.06Ghz, 533MHz FSB, 1MB
Hard disk 160GB SATA
Memory 512MB DDR
Optical Drive 1 DVDRW (+/-) Dual Layer
Graphics On board VGA
Graphics Memory Up to 128M Shared memory
Card reader 11 in 1 card reader
Modem 56k
Keyboard + Mouse USB keyboard & wheel mouse
LAN 10/100
USB ports 2 front/2 rear
IEEE1394 1 port rear
Sound on board
Operating System Win XP Home
Software Application 1 MS Works 8.5
Software Application 2 Norton Internet Security Suite
Warranty - 1 year On-Site

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 01 November 2006 - 04:32 PM

Smells like roses to me. I think you are going to be very happy. I would bump it up to 1024Mb (1Gb) of RAM once you get it.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 kev25v6

kev25v6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2006 - 04:47 PM

I do have a stick of 512mb ddr pc2100 out of my old computer, is it likely to fit?

#4 Detox

Detox

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 01 November 2006 - 05:31 PM

I would suggest switching the CPU to an AMD AM2.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2006 - 05:57 PM

I do have a stick of 512mb ddr pc2100 out of my old computer, is it likely to fit?

No. It will not be compatible with the new system. The memory sometimes can use faster RAM in a slower system but never slower in a faster system.

#6 kev25v6

kev25v6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2006 - 06:17 PM

I would suggest switching the CPU to an AMD AM2.

Im stuck with what they give me, a p4 is still better than my amd duron though i guess.

"No. It will not be compatible with the new system. The memory sometimes can use faster RAM in a slower system but never slower in a faster system."

Would the existing memory in the new computer not just run as slow as the memory that i could transfer over so it would still be 1024mb but running slower or is the higher speed 512mb likely to run better on its own? If it cant be done i think ill get another 1024mb stick and add it to it, should be super fast then :thumbsup:

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2006 - 06:25 PM

Would the existing memory in the new computer not just run as slow as the memory that i could transfer over so it would still be 1024mb but running slower or is the higher speed 512mb likely to run better on its own? If it cant be done i think ill get another 1024mb stick and add it to it, should be super fast then :thumbsup:

I would do that. You should be able to cover almost haft your cost on the new chip by selling the old chip on eBay.

Edited by acklan, 01 November 2006 - 06:25 PM.

#8 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2006 - 11:56 AM

Putting in faster memory wont hurt , but it will still only run as fast as the system is set for, no matter how much faster the memory is capable of running. (it will only run as fast as the slowest)another gig and it should be "smokin" other than that it sounds ok ( you already paid for it thru premiums). I'm no fan of intell what so ever, but that P4 is faster than a Duron (can you say AMD Celeron? ) easily

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2006 - 11:07 PM

If the processor is hyperthreading and the motherboard supports hyperthreading then you must add ram in the exact same configuration for each channel, so if the 512mb that comes with it are 2 sticks of 256, one in each channel then you would have to get 2 of whatever ram sticks, one for each channel.

#10 kev25v6

kev25v6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2006 - 03:13 PM

Thanks for the advice. My old 512mb stick will not fit into the slot, i need DDR2 memory so ive ordered another 512 stick to match whats in it already. I think 1024mb of ram should be fine for what i use the computer for, mainly internet surfing and uploading photos, not gameing. I guess it would be quite good for games when ive upgraded it. New graphics card is my next purchase, any ideas on what to buy?

#11 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2006 - 07:58 PM

Ohh, video cards... I hate upgrading them. Almost anything would be a huge upgrade from the onboard graphics though. It all depends on what slot you have though. Some suppliers just ship it out with only the onboard graphics and pci ports. If thats the case, i think the best card it the radeon x1300. Just hope that you get a better slot though.

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 08 November 2006 - 03:19 PM

Depends on (as nforce said) on what sort of slot that you've got. I've read in another thread here that ATI is still developing AGP cards - so it may be best to go with one of those if you're stuck with AGP.

If you've got PCIe - then there's a whole world of cards out there. Here's a comparison: http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/10/31/the...for_your_money/

And here's an interactive chart: http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 kev25v6

kev25v6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2006 - 03:55 PM

I think ive got a PCIe slot on my computer. The motherboard is a MSI MS7275. Its not on the MSI website because it seems its a OEM board. Ive got a pic of the board but its a bit blury. Posted Image

If it does have a PCIe slot can i just put in any type of graphics card that is designed for PCIe? Or does my computer limit what i can have due to processor,memory etc?

#14 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2006 - 04:20 PM

Actually i think I found the specifications on you computer. It is a Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo P, correct? If so I have very good news. It has 3-PCI, 1 AGP 8x, 1 PCIe 16x, and 4 DIMM (memory) slots. What this means to you is you an go with a efficant high end AGP card if you want to save money and do not need the latest and great. You could also use the bleedin edge stuff with the more modem PCIe interface.

Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo P home page
Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo P specifications (pdf)

Look under "Accessibility Options"

Edited by acklan, 15 November 2006 - 04:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users