Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With Getting Onto One Certain Website And Aol Is The Cause

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Luvkitty

Luvkitty

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 01 November 2006 - 04:02 PM

Hi Guys,

Well, I know that you all probably HATE AOL, and I actually do, too because they cause me SO many headaches, but I just seem to be the most comfortable with them.........for right now. Anyway, I have always been able to get onto an MSN Message Board that I belong to except once, and I can't remember what AOL did to fix the problem, and now that I'm not a paying member I can't tech. support on the phone or online. I CAN get onto the website if I go to it through Internet Explorer through my SBC Yahoo DSL screen.

The other problem with AOL that I'm having is that more and more often after turning on my computer, I'm getting this annoying message. As I said, I have SBC Yahoo DSL for my service, but as soon as my computer is turned on and all the icons on the Desktop are loaded (which is how my computer stays until I click on one of two icons....AOL or Internet Explorer.....is this normal?), I click the AOL icon and sign in. What keeps happening more often than not though, is this message (image below) keeps appearing.

Posted Image

After I close down and start ALL OVER, then the same thing keeps happening. At first it wouldn't do it again, but today after four times it keeps doing it. So, what do I do to fix these two issues?????

Thanks so much!!!!!!
Michele

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 01 November 2006 - 08:45 PM

If you have a different ISP, then uninstall any AOL internet services you may have remaining on your computer.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Luvkitty

Luvkitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2006 - 10:43 PM

Hi John,

If I uninstall all of the AOL "stuff" will I still be able to acess my AOL email and my AOL Favorites list?

Is having my AOL still installed what is sometimes causing me to not be able to access that one website on MSN? Why? Also, why am I getting that message that appears in the upper right hand corner of the screen?

Thanks so much for your help!! It's much appreciated!!!

Michele

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2006 - 10:53 PM

"The AOL service is now FREE to anyone with an Internet connection even if its from another Internet service provider.
Even if you decide at some point to move to high speed or use another dial-up provider to connect to the Internet, you can keep your AOL email, AOL software and more for as long as you'd like to use them. It's your choice."
http://free.aol.com/thenewaol/index.adp?bp=1&d1=1

You should still have Internet Explorer on your computer (look in your program menu) and you can also download and use Firefox as well.
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

#5 Luvkitty

Luvkitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2006 - 05:29 PM

Hi!

Okay, I understand that AOL is free now since I use SBC Yahoo DSL as my ISP, and I understand that means I get to keep my email account and some other features. My question is regarding what John recommended I do to resolve the problem that I posted to start this thread. He suggested that I remove all of the AOL software from my computer, but when I read the information on the AOL page you linked me to, it said I get to use their software for free. What I'm concerned about is my FAVORITES list disappearing if I remove all the AOL software from my computer. Isn't that what's allowing me to use my email and FAVORITES list?

Also, I still don't understand why I can't get onto my MSN group's message board all of a sudden. Whenever I click on that link or type in the web address, I get a message that says AOL needs to close now. I also don't understand why so many random times that I try to sign onto AOL, I get the message that I posted to start this thread......it's in the upper right corner of the screen shot that I posted.

I know this is several questions all rolled up into one, but they all have to do with AOL.

Thanks again for your help!!

Michele

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2006 - 06:19 PM

There may be a problem with the AOL software you have on your computer.
It may have corrupted files or ?

In any case, try updating your software with the software on the free link.
It may be a newer version. First thing to do is to try and install it over yours as an update.

Also look through the help files on your AOL browser and see if there are directions for saving your profiles so that if you do have to completely uninstall AOL you will be able to restore your profile which should contain all the items you are afraid of loosing.

Let us know.

Also, it would be a good idea to run the Windows One Care Free Scan

Go to Windows Live Onecare Free Scan
It will say "Get a free PC safety scan"
http://safety.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

Make sure you click "Full Service Scan" in the middle of the page and
not the "Try It Now Free" on the right side.

Allow it to download an Active X component.
Choose "Complete Scan" in the window that opens
Click "Next"
Do not click on anything else that offers you a free trial or to sign up if you live in the US.

Allow it to scan - it may take quite, maybe two hours or so depending on how big your hard drive is and how fragmented your registry and drive are.

It may not specifically assist an AOL problem but it will correct orphaned and corrupted entries in your registry which might have some bearing on the problem you are having and scan for malware - a very good thing to do for your computer occasionally.

#7 Luvkitty

Luvkitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2006 - 12:44 AM

Thahks for all the help!!! I'll let you know what I find out with the AOL thing, too.

You mentioned something about "depending how fragmented my system is...." and that reminded me that someone told me that I should be defragmenting my computer every so often. I forget how often I should be doing that, and I forget HOW to do that. Can someone tell me the steps and how often I should do that?

Also, on defragmenting and on running the Windows thing you suggested I run in the last post, are those something that I can let run on their own while I'm asleep, or are there things that I'll need to do periodically so that I should stay near the computer?

Thanks!
Michele

#8 putergeekgirl

putergeekgirl

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 03 November 2006 - 02:03 PM

Go into my computer and select your "c" drive, right click it and choose properties. Go to the tools tab and run defragment now (should be the button in the middle). You can then choose to analyze or defragment from there.

Edited by putergeekgirl, 03 November 2006 - 02:04 PM.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 04 November 2006 - 04:46 PM

Here's a link on how to automate Disk Defragmenter using Task Scheduler. I have a friend who uses this method and it works quite well: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;555098

I'd suggest defragging once a week for the average user. You can actually go longer - but it'll take longer to complete then.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users