Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Computer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kadh2000

kadh2000

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 01 November 2006 - 02:19 PM

My old Audigy started making crackling noises so I replaced it with a new card: Soundblaster X-fi Extreme Music. Now it takes several seconds for programs to start, programs to close, or files to save. During those seconds, I can't do anything but wait for the operation to complete.

My system:
Dell Dimension 4700
Pentium 4 2.80 GHz
1 Gb of RAM (4x256 Mb DDR2 SDRAM)
80 GB Hard drive
Radeon X300 Graphics card
Soundblaser X-fi Extreme Music sound card

I run ZoneAlarm as my firewall / antivirus and I use Spyware Doctor for other malware.

Any suggestions that will improve performance? I really like the sound quality I've gotten from the sound card and would hate to have to replace it.
"Cry woe, destruction, ruin, loss, decay;
The worst is Kadh, and Kadh will have his day!"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 01 November 2006 - 03:43 PM

Most likely the old drivers weren't properly installed. Try clean sweeping and reinstalling the drivers. Linky.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 kadh2000

kadh2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2006 - 12:49 AM

Bingo. All fixed. Took forever though and was a royal pain.

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 02 November 2006 - 03:01 AM

Yeah, after going through the procedure at couple of times it starts to get really annoying. But at least it usually clears up any driver problems.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 kadh2000

kadh2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2006 - 01:27 AM

Sigh. I spoke too soon.

I'm still very slow after ending or starting a program. I'm wondering if the sound card incident wasn't a coincidence. Or at least if I have two problems at the same time.

Suggestions, other ideas? The sound card, to all appearances, is now properly installed.

#6 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 03 November 2006 - 04:53 AM

How big is your power supply? Just looking at what you put there, I think you need a good 350 to 400 watt PSU. tigerdirect has a link down the page called "The truth about power supplies". Click on it and it lists what power is used and you can see if your supply is big enough. Maybe the new card is taking a more power.. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#7 kadh2000

kadh2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2006 - 01:03 PM

305W that came with it. I'll check the tiger page and see what it says.

Based on their report I need something to handle from 394 to 514. Guess I'll be upgrading that too.

Edited by kadh2000, 03 November 2006 - 01:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users