Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox 1.5.0.6 Access To Web

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Gswiss

Gswiss

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 01 November 2006 - 01:51 PM

I have a dual boot W2k-Sp4 and XP home-sp1 pc linked to a Zyxel 660 HW Prestige router with a cable connection.

For the past 24 hours, I have difficulty accessing the Web through either Firefox or Internet Explorer under the w2k system. When I open Firefox, it hangs on www.google.com. If I specify another URL in the address box, I manage to reach it after a long while. When I ping those URLs, the operation is successful in every case!

Mailwasher and Incredimail do not react either although I have mail in my providerís mailbox.

I stopped the firewall to no avail. I scanned the disk with antivirus and anti-spyware programs.

The odd thing now is that I have no problem at all with the same pc running under XP. No problem either with 2 laptops connected to the same router via pcmcia cards (one runs under w2k-sp4 and the other under xp home-sp1).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2006 - 09:13 AM

If the problem is limited to the Windows 2K installation - then it's likely that that installation is to blame.

I'd suggest (in Win2k) disabling the current network connection and then create a new one to see if this solves the problem.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Gswiss

Gswiss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2006 - 04:05 PM

That's true. However, how come the pings are successful?

Furthermore, in Mailwasher (an anti-spam pgm), whenever I force a mail check, it tells me that "the session was closed by the Server before the session was completed". I'll check this out with the ISP on Friday. If I had a bad Username or password, it would have let me know.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2006 - 04:25 PM

The pings are most likely successful since you've got connectivity - but your settings are messed up. For example, if I block port 80 I won't be able to reach the internet - but will be able to ping (since it uses a different port).

I use MailWasher also - and it's very sensitive to issues like this.

This isn't that you don't have a connection - it's that the connection that you have isn't letting you do what you want to do. It's the next step in the chain that leads to the internet (and the most likely one to have problems).

Troubleshooting this will involve the network settings, network card settings, Windows settings, and the drivers for your network card. Making a new connection helps to solve quite a few of these problems.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Gswiss

Gswiss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2006 - 05:54 AM

Problem solved. The culprit was Avast. When i disabled the Web shield in Resident Protection, everything worked fine.

However, in order to access my mailbox, I have to disable Avast completely (I'm using version 4.7.892)!

Thanks for your help.

#6 Gswiss

Gswiss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 04:32 PM

As I suspected. it was an Avast problem after all. I haven't changed anything with my W2k-SP4 but for the past few days, I don't need to deactivate Avast any longer in order to use Incredimail or Firefox. An Avast update must have fixed what was wrong.

Edited by Gswiss, 20 December 2006 - 04:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users