Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Dlance

Dlance

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 01 November 2006 - 02:26 AM

I wanted to know something about grpahics. If a computer had integrated graphics could you still put in a better graphics card? and if a comp didn't have a DVI slot for LCD screens with the DVI connection, could you fix this ? and make it able to? Help Appreciated :thumbsup:

(Moderator edit: added topic description. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 01 November 2006 - 11:10 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 01 November 2006 - 07:48 AM

Yes. oou can still upgrade you Video adapter even if it is intergrated. When you plug in the new adapter the onboard adapter will be disabled. What knid of upgrade card you can use will depend on the make and model of your computer. Could you list that for us?
Yes. You can either buy and adapter to use a DVI monitor on a vga card or purchase a card when you upgrade that is DVI ready.

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat%...0&sku=26957
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Dlance

Dlance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2006 - 04:04 PM

Oh, the make and model im not sure yet as I ordered a computer online from Dell and seeing that it had integrated graphics I wasnt sure if it could be used for gaming. I'll post the make and model as soon as I recieve it. I dont know if you could check it out on the website ;

http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/p...=dhs&~ck=mn

Btw, I heard that the motherboard did not have a connecter for a graphics card from some reviews, o_O, could I still be able to install a card or am I stuck with the integrated one?

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 01 November 2006 - 04:23 PM

It will have a spot. The question is will it have the right slot to make the upgrade worth you time and money.
The Model will be on the back. It will be a GX1, GX110, OptiPlex,...
Try going to Start and select Run. Then type in msinfo32
This information should have the model for you.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Dlance

Dlance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2006 - 04:36 PM

Okay, I'll do this when they deliver the computer.

Btw, the video card was an Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 900. It does not have DVI support, on board mem. speed, bus speed (PCI) , on board mem data width, TV-Out nor does it have Dual-Display Capability. Could it still be used for gaming? It doens't have DVI support so if I wanted to get this function to work, I would have to replace this Integrated Graphics? Oh and is there a chance that you could replace it with something better such as a video card with its own processor. Still confused as to how many reviews have said that there were no slots for upgrading the card but you say there is.

What can the function TV-Out be able to do? Support TV? Because I customized the computer to have Windows Media Centre Edtion 2005 and a remote for TV. Does the integrated card ruin it all?

plug in the new adapter the onboard adapter will be disabled.

Does the new adaptor mean "new video card" , and if it is, the integrated card would be disabled? Correct?

It will have a spot. The question is will it have the right slot to make the upgrade worth you time and money.

So frankly, you think it does have a spot ; but what do you mean the "right slot"

EDIT -
I found some information on the card.

The Intel® 915G Graphics and Memory Controller Hub (GMCH) provides a variety of display interfaces. Intel GMA 900 graphics has an integrated DAC, two Intel® Serial Digital Video Out (SDVO) ports that can interface to DVI and LVDS transmitters, SD/HDTV-out encoders and additional DACs.

it says that it has two ports that can interface to DVI and LVDS. It says this but how come people say there aren't? o.O
Thanks.

Edited by Dlance, 02 November 2006 - 03:18 AM.

#6 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 02 November 2006 - 06:35 PM

It may be used for some games but not all. The Intel On-Board Graphics processors work, but are very simple, and usually have low memory. Additionally, you will find most of the new games coming out will require either an ATI or nVidia based graphics card, and you would need one anyway to really enjoy the game.
Acklan is saying that the Mother Board will have a slot for an expansion graphics card. However, you will need to find out whether it is an AGP or a PCI Express slot. AGP is older and slower, but still capable; PCI-X is newer and generally faster - the newer graphics cards will come in PCI-X format, and will only fit into a PCI-x slot on the motherboard. They are not compatible with each other.
With that statement, it sounds as if it is saying that it has an SDVO output connection, that MAY be converted to use as a DVI/LVDS/SD/HDTV-out. The way I read it is that it does not actually have those connection on the motherboard itself.
The integrated "card" (not actually a card, it is a chip on the motherboard) will be disabled when the video card is connected (you cannot have two running at once), but don't worry, on board graphics processors are poo compared to a video card. The majority of video cards coming out will now have DVI output (with a converter for the old monito cable), and S-Video output, which can convert to a number of different connection types.
In the end, you are better off waiting till you get the PC, then find out the connection type (AGP or PCI-x) and then deciding what type of Video Card you want based on what you want to achieve. As you can see, this is why alot of people will build their own PCs - they can get exactly what they want (within their budget of course). :thumbsup:
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#7 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 02 November 2006 - 09:03 PM

In the system specs though it says it has a PCIe slot. Isn't that the slot for newer better graphics cards?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#8 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 02 November 2006 - 10:04 PM

Didn't actually read them, but if it says it has a PCI-express 16 (PCI-x16) slot then yes, it would be for the faster graphics cards.

Ok, just had a look - it does say PCIe x1, which is for smaller PCI express devices, but is not specifically a graphics port. My apologies, I should have been more specific. :thumbsup:

It looks as if it doesn't have an AGP OR a PCIe x16 slot!! That means no graphics card. At least not a good one anyway.

Edited by JPHarvey, 02 November 2006 - 10:08 PM.

[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 02 November 2006 - 10:56 PM

Depending on the processor it is coming with, it may be ok for games or puny at games.

Which processor did you order?

Unless you got a super cheap price, this computer is already obsolete.
It was not designed for super graphics or intensive gaming.
Did you compare it to core duo systems or AMD dual core processor systems?

The other fact is that later this month systems will be coming with coupons for either free Vista upgrades or very discounted Vista upgrades. Because of the inability of this computer to run either AGP or PCIe 16 video cards it will never be able to run Vista Premium with the Aero Glass GUI.
It is also likely that systems that cannot run Vista Premium or Ultimate will be heavily discounted to get rid of them before Vista is released.

#10 Dlance

Dlance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2006 - 12:38 AM

Well I don't know actually but it does have a sticker saying Vista Capable and when I downloaded the Vista PC Advisor it scanned the computer and said that it was able to run the Vista Home Premium. The processor was a x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~3192 Mhz

Edited by Dlance, 10 November 2006 - 12:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users