Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen, White Writng.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sydman1673

sydman1673

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:38 PM

I have this computer that shows me a blue screen with some white writing every time it starts up. I cant get past this blue screen. Is this the Blue screen of death? I tried booting in safe mode but the computer will not respond. If so how do I trouble shoot the Hard drive of the computer.

Thanks for your continued help and timely response Mods.
Education is a life long experience.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sydman1673

sydman1673
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:39 PM

Just to add, the computer is gateway running on windows XP.

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 01 November 2006 - 08:30 AM

Is this the Blue screen of death?

Yes it is, also known as a BSOD.
Please post the exact error code displayed on the screen.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 sydman1673

sydman1673
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2006 - 09:07 AM

the message I am getting is UMOUNTABLE_ BOOT_ VOLUME. Disable Bios Memory options such as caching or shadowing.
Technical Information: Stop: (0x000000ED,0xC0000032,0x00000000, 0x00000000)
The computer starts in the F8 mode then goes to the blue screen.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2006 - 10:06 AM

The error message refers to the fact that it can't mount your hard drive in order to boot from it. A very serious problem. In the event that you are able to get into Windows at some point, the very, very first thing to do is to backup your irreplaceable data/files/folders/email/etc.

Have you been inside the case recently?
Have you had a lightning strike or power surge recently?
Have you changed any of the system software (particularly utilities and drivers) recently?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 sydman1673

sydman1673
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2006 - 07:34 PM

some body was messing with the computer and that happened. So what is my next move? Do I need to change the hard drive?

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2006 - 09:00 AM

How were they "messing" with the computer? Just changing software around - or fussing around inside the case?

Try a DOS boot disk (free from here: http://www.bootdisk.com/ ) to see if you can access the drive from a DOS prompt.

When the A:> prompt shows up on the black screen, type in "C:" (without the quotes) and press Enter. If the drive is accessible you should get the C:\> prompt showing up.

If it doesn't work, try downloading this free utility and running it according to it's directions: http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/NtfsDos.html to get to the C:\> prompt.

Alternatively, you can use a Live Linux distribution to do the same thing - but I don't know diddly about Linux.

If you've get access to the drive this way, the very first thing to do is to backup your data.

If you can't get access, then a new hard drive is most likely the solution (but this isn't 100% certain). There's also a bunch of stuff that you'll have to have in order to make the new hard drive work (like recovery CD's or a Windows XP installation CD).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 02 November 2006 - 11:19 PM

" some body was messing with the computer and that happened."

What exactly does that mean?

#9 sydman1673

sydman1673
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2006 - 09:15 AM

messing with the computer in the sense that they were trying to put new softwares and remove other softwares. Then there was a power problem when litghtning struck and the computers were not disconnected.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2006 - 09:27 AM

This is most likely a failure of the hard drive - and probably doesn't relate to the software installation/removal problems.

A lightning strike can easily destroy most of the components inside the case.

My last lightning strike at home cost me NIC cards, memory, and a TV card. All systems were protected with surge protectors.

My last lightning strike at the wife's office was a "double strike". The first strike blew most of the surge protectors and the second strike took out the systems. I lost several NIC cards, a cable modem, a router, and a hard drive.

FWIW - the lightning can strike through the cable/network connection as easily as the power connection.

The problem here is that you don't know exactly what was fried by the lightning strike. Although the hard drive may be "toast", you could also have lost other components - and this makes the troubleshooting a very frustrating thing to do.

I'd suggest still trying to recover the data from the hard drive (according to my post above). If the hard drive is bad, then you'll have to reinstall Windows on a new hard drive in order to start troubleshooting the system.

You can test your RAM without a hard drive using this free utility: http://www.memtest86.com/ Just read the directions carefully, then run the test for at least 2 hours (overnight is better). If you start getting errors, you can stop the test and start shopping for memory :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users