Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ws_ftp

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 adkron

adkron

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 31 October 2006 - 06:22 PM

Hi,

I am unable to up load my home page at godaddy.com using WS_FTP or their suggest FTP Client gFTP.org..

I have submitted the following to godaddy and Ipswitch without results. Godaddy's support doesn’t seem to understand my dilemma. Here is what I sent them and called them about with no help forthcoming:

Can someone tell me how to use Ipswitch WS_FTP for Godaddy?

I have had my home page domain registered and hosted by bizland.com for years. I decided to change to godaddy.com because of price. Since doing so I can not get my page up. Godaddy support hasn’t been able to help by e-mail or phone. Their web site said use gFTP.org as the FTP Client. I went to their site and did their download and nothing works.

I have been using Ipswitch at my former host (bizland.com) for years with no problem. However I do not know how to use Ipswitch WS_FTP with godaddy. Godaddy’s tech rep. gave me a bunch of instructions about host names, passwords, and server names. I don’t know what to do with them when I click my Ipswitch WS_FTP icon that I use to access my bizland account.

Can you help me?

End of post.

I don't know if anyone here at can help but this forum has been better than all the supports I have tried anywhere. If anyone can help me with this please do. I have e-mailed my previous host (bizland.com) and asked them how I can transfer my domain and hosting back to them. So far I haven’t received a reply.

Thanks,

adkron.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 31 October 2006 - 06:36 PM

Just to be clear, you are now using GoDaddy as your host for your webpage? And you are unable to use their suggested FTP client to upload that page?

I went to their site and did their download and nothing works.

Please don't take this the wrong way because I imagine that you are pretty agitated at the moment. What does that mean? Thei download site didn't work, the download didn't work, or you don't know how to work the ftp client? It is hard for anybody to help when you are not perfectly clear about what you tried to do or what happened (specifically, what happened.??.. error messages, etc). Nothing works does not tell us anything helpful. GoDaddy has fantastic customer support, so I ma sure that they did the best they could with the information given to them. So if you could take a breath and explain things clearly, we will do our best to help. :thumbsup:

First, have you transferred the domain to GoDaddy? Is GoDaddy handling the DNS resolution, or rather, are you using GoDaddy's name servers? What errors are you getting when you use the FTP client?

#3 adkron

adkron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:07 PM

Hi groovicus,

Your request is a good one and I will take a deep breath and reply. Please forgive the length of this poat but here is what has transpired:

I started with this question to godaddy’s support:

“I have been trying to upload my home page. I transferred my domain (adkron.net) from bizland.com to you. When I follow your "uploading your test page to your hosting account" when I get to ste 4. (click FTP Client) I am told "To upload content, select content in the "Local System" area on the left side of the screen. However there is no “Local System” to select. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

adkron

This is the reply I received:

“Thank you for contacting Online Support. If you continue to have this error, please respond with a step by step process of how you arrived at this error and screenshots.

How to Capture a Screen Shot in Windows:

The term screen shot refers to "grabbing" a still image of the contents of your computer monitor that can be saved as a graphic file and printed, faxed, or emailed.

Screen shots are very helpful in explaining what you are seeing on your computer when working with customer support. It is often easier for you and for the support representative if you take a screen shot of what you are seeing and simply send it in.

Here is a quick step by step on how to do it:

In Windows, taking a screenshot is done by pressing the Print Screen key on your keyboard. On most standard keyboards, it is found to the right of the F12 key in the upper right hand portion of the keyboard. When this key is pressed, Windows takes a snapshot of the current contents of the screen and saves it to the Windows Clipboard.

If you want to take a screenshot of just the active window, make sure to click once on the window you are working with, then hold down the Alt key and press Print Screen. This will send the contents of the active window to the Clipboard.

You will then need to save the image to an image editor. You can use any software that you feel comfortable with. If you don't have an image editor, you can find Microsoft Paint installed on almost every computer that runs Windows. It is usually available from the Start menu by clicking START, Programs, Accessories, Paint.

Once you've opened your image editor, click on the Edit menu and choose Paste. The Screen Shot will be dropped into the image editor for you to save. Click on the File menu, and then choose Save to save it as a file in the graphics format of your choice. The best file type to use for saving screenshots is .jpg (if your software allows it).

Now that you have the file saved, you can attach it to an email to our support forum.

Please let us know if we can help you in any other way.

Sincerely,

Tim P.

end of post:

What does that have to do with my question? I sent the following question:

Hi Support:

I have been trying to upload my homepage that I transferred from Bizland.com. My domain is adkron.net. My godaddy customer ID is ******.

I have been following you directions from your, "Creating and Uploading You First Web Page".

When I get to step 4. and click FTP Client I an told to click "Local Settings" on the left side of the page. However there is no "Local Setting' to choose from. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

I received the following:

“Thank you for contacting Online Support. We have resolved the issue with your domain not resolving correctly to your hosting account. You should be able to upload files within 1-2 hours. When using the FTP client within your hosting account control panel, you should see under local settings, 'C:' within the first field and below that should be a list of all file and folders within that location. Please let us know what is listed on the left side of the FTP client.

Sincerely,

Nathan P.
Online Support Technician

Again the technician ignored my statement that I was not given a
“local settings” option. If I wasn’t getting that option how could I click ‘C’ under it?

Online Support Technician

If you need further assistance with this matter, please reply to this email or contact customer service at (480) 505-8877 and reference [Incident ID: 1230527].

Thanks,
GoDaddy.com"

End of post.

So I called:

The tech rep. Told me to click godaddyy.com and do the following:

I told him I have a phone modem Internet connection and could not be on the internet and the phone at the same time. (I live in a remote area of upstate New York and DSL is not available). He ignored me again and told me to click godaddy.com. I repeated my self and he started giving me instructions on how to use their recommended FTP Client gFTP.org. I told him I had clicked their link on godaddy’s home page and had done the down load, but when I tried to run it didn’t work.

I asked him if godaddy had a file manager that I could use to up load my home page. He said no. Yet godaddy’s web site lead me to believe they did. My former host (bizland.com) had one and also permitted me to up load file using Ipswitch’s WS_FTP free home version. The rep. than started asking me questions about my password and credit card and out of frustration I gave up talking to him. I politely said goddbye.

I than went back to my last support e-mail I had received shown above the phone call and asked:

“Hi,

I still never see the local settings option.

It’s still not working. I get as far as a Hosting Manager page, click content than FTP Client and still receive the same message i.e.

+FTP Program (in a yellow background)

"You can upload files to your Web site using this simple FTP program. If a security certificate window displays, click Yes to accept the certificate and open the FTP program."
However no security window appears." Below this appears the message:

"NOTE: While you should be able to upload and download simple files without a problem, this FTP client is not designed for transferring large amounts of data. If you need to transfer a lot of files, use a standard FTP client. This FTP program does not currently support file/directory names that use characters other than those found in the US-ASCII character set.

To upload content, select content in the "Local System" area on the left side of the screen. Click the >> button to move your local files to your hosting server. "

However there is no "Local System" option to select> Below this appears:

"To download files from the remote location to your local system, select the file(s) from the remote location and use the << button to move them."

Below this appears a large blank gray box.

Thats it, what do I do now?

Thanks,

adkron

I received the following reply from Support:

“Dear Ron,

Thank you for contacting Online Support. Please be advised that the FTP client within the control panel is java based and you would need to verify that your browser currently has java enabled. Once you enable java in your browser, you should be able to access the FTP client.

Sincerely,

Nathan P.
Online Support Technician”

end of post.

Well that was not much help to me so I sent the following reply:

To this I replied that I use Explorer as my browser and I assumed they were java enabled; I received the following response from godaddy:

“Dear Ron,

Thank you for contacting Online Support. Unfortunately, we cannot provide instructions on how to enable _JavaScript for your browser, however, you can refer to the following link to check your browser settings and you will be able to follow directions from there.

http://sites.godaddy.com/troubleshooter/default.aspx

Regards,

Felicia B.
Online Support Technician”

end of post.

I was also given instruction on how to cancel my account both by e-mail and phone. I signed up in August and have never been able to post my home page with godaddy. They said they will refund a prorated amount based on my time with them and the length of my contract (2 years). But after canceling I will have to call them again to confirm the cancellation.

So I have been disappointed by their support.

I don’t mean to be argumentative but this has been very frustrating for me and I don’t seem to be able to get my home page up loaded using godaddy.

As you can see this is a convoluted tale. If you have taken the time to read all this I hope you understand why I didn’t post all the details before your question. If this makes sense to you and you have an answer beyond godaddy cancellation please let me know.

Thanks,

adkron :thumbsup:

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:20 PM

I hope you are not in a hurry, because this is going to take a bit to absorb.... : :thumbsup:

#5 adkron

adkron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2006 - 03:43 PM

Hi groovicus,

I am not in a hurry and I appreciate you taking the time to "wade" through this. I have asked Ipswictch for help on using them as the FTP client for godaddy. Because I use their free version (at Bizland.com) they are unwilling to help (which I can understand). I offered to use there paid home edition but their web site says not support is available unless you pay and additional $30.00. I am iwaiting for core 2 prices to drop a bit and than I will be buying a new computer. I have asked Ipswitch if there down load will be transferable to my new computer when I do. I am waiting for a reply.

I tried Godaddy.s FTP client and could not get it to run. I downloaded their recommended gFTP.org link and it won't run. Maybe my computer has a demon in it (I maybe the demon - scary thought but Halloween just passed).

Seriously thank you very much for helping m with this,

adkron

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2006 - 05:32 PM

You should be able to use any FTP client. FTP is FTP, you could do it from the command line if you want. I'm having a little trouble finding their instruction pages for the FTP upload. I have my domains registered through them, but perhaps since I don't use them for web-hosting, I don't have access to the pages that youa re seeing.

Heh.. turns out that I have some free hosting credits with Godaddy.. I can now see the Hosting Manager page. Let's see what I can find. Oh, I have to wait 24 hours. :thumbsup:

I am at the PDF though, so I can see the instructions that yo have been given. And I see where you may be getting confused. The 'Local Settings' on the left side of the page, which I think you actually mean "Local System", is the title for the entire left side of the application. Basically, everything listed in the text box is on the Local System. You want to navigate through the directory tree until you get to your html page. Select your file, then click on the '>>' arrows to move the file to the server, and then continue with the instructions.

Does that make things a bit clearer?

#7 adkron

adkron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2006 - 09:16 PM

Hi groovicus,

I’m still trying. I can’t get godaddy’s recommended FTP (ftp://gtk.org/) to work. After the download I ended up with a file containing a dozen or so folders. Each one I click on requires unzipping and installing and by free version of Winzip can’t open them. Thanks again godaddy.

I don’t see a “Local System” option but I haven’t been able to get to their Manage Hosting page and click open. I see a bunch of icons and after clicking FTP manager I followed a bunch of steps and set up two FTP managers but still cannot upload my page. I’m confident my problems are with FTP management but I don’t know how to resolve them.

I downloaded smartFTP and installed it. On trying to use it after entering my user info. I receive this message:

[21:04:16] SmartFTP v2.0.999.21
[21:04:17] Resolving host name "ns3.secureserver.net"
[21:04:19] Connecting to 64.202.165.10 Port: 21
[21:04:41] A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.
[21:04:41] Client closed the connection.
[21:04:41] Cannot login waiting to retry (30s)...
[21:04:41] Active Help: http://www.smartftp.com/support/kb/index.php/58
[21:05:11] Continue to login attempt 2...
[21:05:11] Resolving host name "ns3.secureserver.net"
[21:05:11] Connecting to 64.202.165.10 Port: 21
[21:05:32] A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.
[21:05:32] Client closed the connection.
[21:05:32] Cannot login waiting to retry (30s)...
[21:05:32] Active Help: http://www.smartftp.com/support/kb/index.php/58
[21:06:02] Continue to login attempt 3...
[21:06:02] Resolving host name "ns3.secureserver.net"
[21:06:02] Connecting to 64.202.165.10 Port: 21
[21:06:23] A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.
[21:06:23] Client closed the connection.
[21:06:23] Cannot login waiting to retry (30s)...
[21:06:23] Active Help: http://www.smartftp.com/support/kb/index.php/58
[21:06:53] Continue to login attempt 4...
[21:06:53] Resolving host name "ns3.secureserver.net"
[21:06:53] Connecting to 64.202.165.10 Port: 21
[21:07:14] A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.
[21:07:14] Client closed the connection.
[21:07:14] Cannot login waiting to retry (30s)...
[21:07:14] Active Help: http://www.smartftp.com/support/kb/index.php/58
[21:07:44] Continue to login attempt 5...
[21:07:44] Resolving host name "ns3.secureserver.net"
[21:07:44] Connecting to 64.202.165.10 Port: 21
[21:08:05] A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.
[21:08:05] Cannot login waiting to retry (30s)...
[21:08:05] Client closed the connection.
[21:08:05] Active Help: http://www.smartftp.com/support/kb/index.php/58
[21:08:35] Continue to login attempt 6...
[21:08:35] Resolving host name "ns3.secureserver.net"
[21:08:35] Connecting to 64.202.165.10 Port: 21
[21:08:56] A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.
[21:08:56] Cannot login waiting to retry (30s)...
[21:08:56] Client closed the connection.
[21:08:56] Active Help: http://www.smartftp.com/support/kb/index.php/58

I’ll keep trying and let you know how I make out.

Thanks,

Ron

#8 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2006 - 10:15 PM

Ok, I need to back up a bit here. I mistakenly made the assumption that you were using Windows XP. What OS are you using?

The other potential issue is that perhaps your protection software is blocking things. Are you running a firewall or anti-virus?

The other part that is confusing me is that the directions that I have seem to indicate that the ftp client is a web based app. The directions that I have do not say anything about downloading a client. Here are the instructions form the PDF that I have from GoDaddy:

To Upload Your Web Page Using Your Hosting Manager
1. Log in to your Account Manager.
2. Under the Hosting & Email section, select Hosting Account List.
3. Next to the hosting account you want to use, click Open to open your Hosting
Manager.
4.Under the Content section of the Hosting Manager, click the FTP Client icon.
5. If a security certificate window displays, click Yes to accept the certificate and open
the FTP program. In general, this is what the FTP program looks like when you open
it for the first time:
6. In the Local System section, go to the location on your computer where you saved
your index.htm file and select your file.
7. Click the >> arrows to upload the index.htm file to your hosting account.
8. Once you have uploaded your file, open a new Web browser window and type the URL to
your new file in your browser's address bar.

I wonder which instructions you are using? Now keep in mind, I have to wait 24 hours for my account to be activated, so when I click on my accounts, I don't have the open button yet. But I am drawing the conclusion from the instructions that there is no client to download.

Ok, so I just checked GoDaddy again, and I was right. The FTP client is a web app. The part that is screwing you up is that it is a java applet. If you do not have a Java Runtime Environment on your system, you will not see the application. So what flavor of windows are you running? I can help you install a JRE, but I need to know what version of Windows you are using.

#9 adkron

adkron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2006 - 05:21 AM

Hi groovicus,

I am running Windows XP home edition.

I finally got my files to upload using WS_FTP and yet when I enter my domain name in Explorer's address line I get this message "this homepage is coming soon" and a link to click to WS_FTP. When I do so I see instructions that I have followed. My domain name is adkron.net. Put it in your address line and see what I mean.

Godaddy has also said I need a way to get java. I just didn't know how to do it.

Thanks,

adkron

Edited by adkron, 02 November 2006 - 05:23 AM.

#10 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2006 - 07:52 AM

You have some other issues then, because XP has an unzipping application built in. There should have been no reason to download Winzip.

Here is a nice website that will show you how to download the JRE:
http://www.lips.utexas.edu/UTAustin/AgentD...sk/install.html

When was the last time you updated your computer, or ran an anti-virus scan?

It appears that your domain name resolution is working though because it is pointing to a GoDaddy server.

#11 adkron

adkron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2006 - 06:04 PM

You have some other issues then, because XP has an unzipping application built in. There should have been no reason to download Winzip.

Here is a nice website that will show you how to download the JRE:
http://www.lips.utexas.edu/UTAustin/AgentD...sk/install.html

When was the last time you updated your computer, or ran an anti-virus scan?

It appears that your domain name resolution is working though because it is pointing to a GoDaddy server.

Hi groovcus,

I update and run a virus scan every five days.

Thanks for the link, I will check it out however I have cancelled my Godaddy account. I am still bothered by not being able to figure out how to get my page up using Godaddy and will continue to try and figure it out.

Thanks for your help,

adkron

Edited by adkron, 02 November 2006 - 06:16 PM.

#12 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2006 - 06:28 PM

I'm sorry I wasn't able to help you resolve your problems though. Just as an additional note, virus scans are for finding viruses. The majority of what is floating around these days is related more to trojans, spyware, adware, and worms. AV's are not very good at detecting those. The reason I am concerned is because there should have been no need to download an additional program to unzip files. XP ships with a program to do that.

I have had tons of experience with malware. There are times when malware will break file associations, such as not being able to find the zip application to open a zip file. Usually there are a lot of other programs that don't work also, so you don't quite seem to fit that pattern. However, I would be irresponsible if I didn't at least mention my concerns. My suggestions is only that there may be other issues with your system, and they may be contributing to your other issues.

Now that I have said my bit, I'll wish you best of luck.

Best regards,
Groovicus

#13 adkron

adkron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2006 - 05:48 PM

Hi groovicus,

I’m sure if I had stayed with godaddy you would have resolves the issue.

Thanks for the JRE link. Bizland makes using FTP easy but I still want to learn hoe to use it without their help.

I did have a Trojan virus (Win32.Briss.C) on my computer for a long time. I use ZonelabsSecutiry Suite as my virus and firewall protection. They found it but could not remove it. People at pitstop.com had me download HJT and with their help I was able to get rid of it.

I agree with you that there are other issues with my system. I am working to fix them. My computer will not boot up with my printer (Cannon MP830) turned on. I have to contact Canon about this. The printer is new.

I am grateful for all the time and effort you put into helping me and hope we will stay in touch. I’m bound to have more problems down the line and someday maybe I can return the favor. You never know.

Thanks again,

adkron

Edited by adkron, 03 November 2006 - 05:49 PM.

#14 Arenlor

Arenlor

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 03:37 PM

godaddy is a bit annoying, I have to use it when working on my church site, I can use FireFTP with it, so I know you don't have to use a web client with it. But yeah I've never gotten any help using their support, they always just blow you off like that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users