Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Something New

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Qas

Qas

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 31 October 2006 - 05:52 PM

Hello, ive masterd windows xp i know my ins and outs. Just using vista atm pretty good. Now i want something new there for i am going to Apple iMac alltough all these years i have been anti apple i just want to use the Mac OS as see whats the diffrent and the hardware. Isit a good idea to spend 999.99 thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Qas

Qas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2006 - 07:04 AM

Hello, ive masterd windows xp i know my ins and outs. Just using vista atm pretty good. Now i want something new there for i am going to Apple iMac alltough all these years i have been anti apple i just want to use the Mac OS as see whats the diffrent and the hardware. Isit a good idea to spend 999.99 thanks

anyone help thanks

#3 DoveFat

DoveFat

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 11:44 AM

:thumbsup:
Sorry this reply is so late in coming, I just read your posting today.
First thing you'll notice about Mac compared to Windows OS is that it's not going to crash. Second thing you'll notice is that it is fairly complete as an operating system. You can pretty much run a Mac directly out of the box it came in. Thirdly, Macs are priced a bit higher than Windows machines but don't let that scare you off. Macintosh and Windows are two very different annimals. More games, other softwatre are written for Windows but not a lot of malware is written for Mac. Mac has a bi-directional firewall but will need a 3rd party software
( "Flying Butteress"; "Brick House", both by Brian Hill) to configure it. Just a few other security software titles for Mac but that may be all you'll need. And so on........
Is a new Apple with Mac worth $ 1000 when it's just a toy for a while ? I won't answer that. For myself, I'm trading my old Windows machine for an Apple desktop to go along with my Apple IBook and saying short goodbyes to Windows.

Closed HTML tags.~acklan~

Edited by acklan, 18 February 2007 - 02:26 PM.

[size=4][b][i][color=#000099]Much health and happiness to you and yours.

#4 :O!

:O!

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2007 - 12:24 PM

Personally, I wouldnt make such a transition...

I would try something cheap like the Mac Mini first.

But its all up to you.

http://beos.proboards105.com/

meh forum

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 18 February 2007 - 02:24 PM

First thing you'll notice about Mac compared to Windows OS is that it's not going to crash.

While it is accepted that the Mac OS is generally a stable system it is not a given. Until i had a hard drive failure I had the same install of Windows XP Pro for over 3 years. I would be using the same install if i would have had the drive mirrored.
The problem with windows is, as you pointed out, so many malware programs and scripts are written to attack the Windows platform. With that said if users would take time to secure their system most problems could and would be avoided. With all the security freeware available and an ounce of common sense problems can almost be eliminated. This would also include refraining from risk downloads and other known high risk activity.
I know I was a little off topic but to just say Windows will crash is not a guarantee. As Mac becomes more and more of a target of the malware world you will see more problems popup with the Macs. As of now antivius software and firewalls are becoming common place on the Mac.
That is just my opinion.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users