Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display Problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SharonC

SharonC

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 31 October 2006 - 05:07 PM

I have just installed Windows Vista Ultimate RC1 (x64). My system passed the upgrade advisory before I began the install, but after activation my display is flashing, According to vista and windows update site I have the best driver installed. :huh:

Here are my specs - any ideas or thoughts greatly appreciated as I have been waiting for a month with program in hand for an opportunity to install. Long story for another thread! :huh:

Abit AV8 3rd eye uGuru - Athlon 64 3500+ - 2x512 Corsair XMS PC3200 - eVGA Geforce FX5700 Personal Cinema - WD 74GB Raptor (not in use for Vista) - 80GB Maxtor (spare drive installed just for Vista) - and finally Plextor PX-716A SATA

Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SharonC

SharonC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2006 - 05:11 PM

Just thought to mention diaplay is fine if I boot into XP Media Center on the Raptor drive - so I wouldn't think is the card or the monitor - actually stopped flashing while I was activating online but began again after restart

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 01 November 2006 - 07:44 AM

Have you tried the Vista drivers available from nVidia? Here's a link to the x64 driver page: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x64_96.85.html

Vista is heavily into graphics, so there have been a lot of display issues with it. Do you have the option to report a bug? If so, this may get you some technical support for free.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 SharonC

SharonC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2006 - 12:59 PM

Thanks for the link. I have tried that download but says is not for my version - I have RC1 and that is for RC2. I have reported the problem to Microsoft but no new info from them yet.
As a temporary fix I am unistalling the video card in the device manager and the problem stops - but as soon as windows reloads the driver - flashing begins again. This is annoying because without the drivers installed I am unable to access some of the features that I want to play with, and as soon as I restart the PC, of course windows loads the driver again.

Most of what I am seeing is that x64 drivers just aren't available - and is doesn't help that I have a discontinued card. I may install the 32bit edition on another hard drive and see what happens on it, since those drivers are available. The 64bit edition will not take the 32bit driver either, I have tried !

Any other ideas or links appreciated, and if I find anything else I will post it as well.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 01 November 2006 - 10:52 PM

I think that the x64 version will go the same route as the x64 version of XP - it'll be an interesting toy to play with, but it won't be treated seriously enough to warrant the extra effort needed to develop decent drivers.

64 bit computing is coming - but I guess that the world just isn't ready for it. This transition started out very familiar to the transition from 16 bit to 32 bit systems - but it appears to be diverging now. I suspect that those of us who want to use 64 bit Microsoft OS's are doomed to wait a lot longer.

Have you tried installing the XP x64 drivers and running the installation in Compatibility mode as an Administrator?

Are you able to access Microsoft Connect? If so, you may be able to find workarounds posted there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 SharonC

SharonC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2006 - 04:48 PM

I wanted to take a minute and thank you for all your help. As I said if I found the answer I would post it.
Here's the link :

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x64_96.33.html

This worked for me - I no longer have a flashing display!!!! :huh:
First I had to install the original drivers - restart - tolerate the flashing and install the download - no more flashing!!!!
Thank you all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users