Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Does It Mean Popup Warning

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Marlon

Marlon

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 31 October 2006 - 02:36 PM

Quick question. Any responce would be greatly appreciated.

Humbly

Marlon S. Keller

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 bandit4edu

bandit4edu

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 31 October 2006 - 02:58 PM

In WinXP, right click My Computer, and select Properties. Go to the Advanced tab, and under Performance, click Settings. When there, click the Advanced tab. There, you will find one option at the bottom to change your virtual memory. Select Change and increase it.

you might also check programs that you are running and see if they excede the system requirements that your computer currently supports.
Eschew Obfuscation

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2006 - 03:08 PM

Virtual memory (sometimes called the "page file" or "swap file") is space on your hard drive that Windows uses in addition to actual RAM memory; think of it as an way to handle RAM overflow.
A low virtual memory warning can occur if:
1. You have too many applications open at the same time.
2. Poorly coded applications causing memory leaks (using more and more memory without clearing it out when the application closes, for example).
3. Not having sufficient RAM, causing extensive use of the swap file the size of which has been manually reduced.
4. Not having enough RAM for your computing needs. Windows allocates by default 1.5 times your actual RAM for your swap file. If you have 512MB RAM, it will allocate 768MB file space, for a total of 1.24GIGs of virtual memory. However, if you are operating XP on 256MB of RAM, the swap file is 384MB for 640MB. Windows XP takes a great deal of memory just to run itself, opening Word or Excel and a browser and a picture editor, malware, and.... may very well strain both the 256MB of RAM and the allocated page file space to the point where Windows issue a low memory warning.

To remedy this situation:
1. Review the running process in Task Manager to determine if you have any "rogue" applications running.
2. Purchase and install additional RAM (this will improve performance and also increase the default size of the page file).
3. Habitually close any applications you are not currently using; turn off your computer occasionally to close any memory leaks and reset the operating system.
4. Manually increase the page file size.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2006 - 08:27 AM

It means that you're running out of virtual memory.

How to fix it? Well, that depends upon the cause.
1) Is your pagefile (it's the virtual memory) too small? - then make it bigger
2) Is a program hogging the pagefile? - the close the program and find a fix for it
3) Is the message because you don't have enough RAM - and this is forcing the pagefile to be too active? - then get more RAM
4) Sometimes this is just a glitch - but if it happens too often, then it's a problem.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users