Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"hpoevm08.exe not responding"

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 20 December 2004 - 08:06 PM

Whenever my brother tries to close down his computer, he gets the message "hpoevm08.exe not responding". OS is XP and the printer is an HP Office Jet 6110. What does this mean? And how can he prevent this from occuring?
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 21 December 2004 - 10:56 PM

Some printers do not like it when you turn the computer off. If you turn the printer off before you turn the computer off, it should remedy the prblem. Until I can find a better fix, he may have to do this everything.

If he was to reinstall the driver in Safe Mode, it may take care of the problem.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#3 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2004 - 11:30 PM

Thanks JE I'll e-mail this fix to him right away. It is really nothing major. Just a pain to deal with this everytime he tries to shutdown. He can't just shutdown and walk away.
Posted Image

#4 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2004 - 11:55 PM

Since he has XP, he can do a batch program and start it with an icon. This would force all running programs to shut down.

Right-click the desktop, and chose New -> Shortcut. Copy the code below in the target box, name the target whatever you want, and click apply. You can even right-click, properties, and change icon to make it look like a power button :thumbsup:

directions for shutdown

%windir%\System32\SHUTDOWN.exe -s -t 01

directions for restart

%windir%\System32\SHUTDOWN.exe -r -t 01

The difference between them is -s is for shutdown, and -r is for restart. The -t is for time, in seconds.

#5 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2004 - 12:13 AM

Thanks. Geeze I'm not so sure that he can do all that. He is quite a newbie. And he lives in another state. Or I would help him. Maybe I can help him over the phone. I 'm not so sure about that though. I sent him the easy fix. That may have to do for now.

As a matter of fact he has never ran any spyware/adaware programs. I gave him all the info. he needed to get started. Can't wait to hear those results. He is getting ready to get DSL. He has dialup. And has no patience for downloading anything. He hasn't even updated IE in at least 6 months. But he is aware that it needs done. He will be getting Spybot, AdAware, ZoneAlarm, and AVG.

All he has is Norton.( Which I of course told him to ditch.)

He says he has no firewall. But doesn't XP come with one. Dang I wish I could go to his house and get ahold of his 'puter. That would sure make a full day. I'd enjoy it though. It makes me crazy knowing how unsecure he is.

Edited by scarlett, 23 December 2004 - 12:28 AM.

Posted Image

#6 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2004 - 07:54 PM

Hmmmm maybe I could post a step-by-step, with pictures?

I will work on it on my end, and post back here, if it is small enough to fit in a thread. Probably will not be finished today though.

#7 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2004 - 08:10 PM

Great. maybe that would make things a little easier for him. Though as I said he is quite the newbie.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users