Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C:\windows\system32 Folder Opens At Startup

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bobd441

bobd441

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 31 October 2006 - 07:30 AM

Howdy!

What more can be said... C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder opens when I start or re-start.

Yes, I have read the MS Knowledgebase info about the 2 Registry entries, but they do not appear in my Registry. System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows XP

I did a search in this discussion group and came up empty also.

This started when I formatted (last week) and installed WinXP Pro and then started installing my programs, etc.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!

In advance, many thanks.

Bob
--
Bob
===================================
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather, who died peacefully in his sleep.
...not screaming like all the passengers in his car!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:55 AM

There's generally 2 causes for this problem:
1) incomplete removal of malware (viruses/spyware)
2) corrupt installation of autostarting programs (this includes programs that autostart - and programs that are called by other autostarting programs)

The first step is to check your startup entries for items that load on startup. You can use msconfig.exe from the Run dialog - but I prefer this free program: http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Autoruns.html

If it's too complicated - then there's another free one here that's easier to use: http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Start by looking for programs that aren't on your system - and for one's that are unfamiliar to you. You can eliminate the one's that are currently started (since they started, they musn't be the problem).

Then, one by one, try disabling them and restarting your system. Eventually you'll find the one that causes this behavior.

CAVEAT: At times this is caused by the behavior of other programs not involved in the startup process. But eliminating the startup programs as a source of the problem is the first step in finding the problem there also.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:11 PM

Try the following:

System 32 Folder opens on desktop at startup
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
#260, on the Right Side

#4 bobd441

bobd441
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:49 PM

Enthusiast: Tried it - no registry problems found.
Thanks!

USASMA (John) Lots of info, thanks. Will try them asap. However, here in So. FL, at the moment, there is a HUGE thunderstorm blowing through. I ALWAYS (now) shut down and unplug the comp and equipment after having the house hit by lightning about 3 years ago. Lost a bunch of electronics then. Have an APS Back-UPS LS700, but don't want to tempte the thunder god!

Be back in a while.

Thanks to both!
--
Bob
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather, who died peacefully in his sleep.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 01 November 2006 - 08:05 AM

I've been the victim of 2 lightning strikes in the past couple of years! Even with surge protection I've lost a lot of stuff.

The funny thing was that I was losing mostly the NIC cards (also some RAM and a TV Card)

Then I realized...it was the cable hookup, not the power hookup, that was conducting the surges. The lightning strike was through the cable modem and router into the network - and it fried the NIC cards! I installed cable surge protectors on the systems at home and at the wife's office.

I surge protect the cable connection, then I surge protect the LAN cable from the cable modem to the router. (Plus, each PC has a LAN cable slot on it's surge protector also).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 bobd441

bobd441
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2006 - 08:35 AM

Thanks Gents for your help!

Somehow, the 'problem' cleared up, maybe after I visited the link 'Enthusiast' suggested? Don't know, as it did say the 'fix' wasn't applicable to my comp.

...WHAT - EVERRRRR!! It's not opening that folder at startup any more and that's what counts! LOL

Don't-cha just LOVE being Microsoft's beta-testers? ...even though they are pushing their new version now.

Of course, aren't we ALL beta testers for just about everything and everyone?

Think about it... :thumbsup:

We buy a car and use it for a couple of years, then some problem crops up and we hear that many others have the same problem, and eventually (hopefully) the manufacturer 'fesses up to the 'problem' and does a recall, hopefully a 'public' recall so we all hear about it, rather than a 'private' recall, that only goes to the dealer and is applied when the car goes in for that problem and we ask about any recalls.

...or maybe the package of spinach makes you sick, but you don't know why until there are enough people getting sick so it's mentioned on the news and there is a 'spinach recall'!

Beta-testing! ...our way of life!

Enough rambling for now (I tend to do that).

Thanks again for your help! I have a couple of other 'things' I want to straighten out on the comp and will attend to them asap.

Regards,
Bob
--
Bob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users