Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry Cleaning

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 vicmax

vicmax

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 31 October 2006 - 06:43 AM

Ok, now im sure this question has been asked loads of times already, but what is considered by you, to be the best registry cleaner, AND also what you consider the safest.

I have of late noticed a considerable slow down on my system, and i know this is from loads of invalid entries in my registry (Im not infected, just bloated). So i want to clean it, but i dont have time to do it manually or the full knowledge to be honest.

So i want to clean it as best as it can be, but without the high risks. So in other words, if you know of a registry cleaner that cleans nearly everything but it has a larger risk of deleting something that is actually needed, then that is no good. If you know of one that may not get rid of everything, but those that it does delete are invalid entries and safe, then do tell. Just as importantly, it must be freeware.

I should also add, i can not do a clean reinstall of windows as i do not have a disc. Hence i wish to clean the registry itself.

Many thanks
:thumbsup:

Edited by vicmax, 31 October 2006 - 06:47 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 31 October 2006 - 06:48 AM

The best registry cleaner (IMO) is the last freeware version of JV16 PowerTools.

The safest (again IMO) is a new, online tool here: http://safety.live.com/

But, it's been my experience that the more that you try and clean your registry - the more problems you'll get. So I generally recommend only using a registry cleaner for specific problems - and even then not using it very often.

The risk factor is very evident in the JV16 tool - you get to select what to keep and what to get rid of. With the online scan, it makes more recommendations - then you just approve/disapprove them.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:59 AM

Cleaning the registry does not generally make that much difference in performance, and what little improvement you might get is far outweighed by the chances you will muck up your computer by deleting entries needed by applications, especially if you do rely on registry cleaners to make decisions for you, or blindly accept their recommendations.
You will get far more improvement by clearing out old or unneeded files, running checkdisk, and defragging on a regular basis.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 LaFemmeMichele

LaFemmeMichele

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 01 November 2006 - 03:09 AM

I really like PC Tools Registry Mechanic. It's not free, but it has a free trial period. I remember the 1st time I used it my PC ran noticably lighter. It will find a lot! Don't panic. I'm very comfortable with it. You also might want to try a cleaner for foot prints, left behind folders. Clean Up! is free. You run it 1st in demo mode--see if you approve before the real job. :thumbsup:
O how I long for the days when a geek was merely a performer of the grotesque. -M

#5 Tim64

Tim64

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 01 November 2006 - 03:14 AM

I really like PC Tools Registry Mechanic. It's not free, but it has a free trial period. I remember the 1st time I used it my PC ran noticably lighter. It will find a lot! Don't panic. I'm very comfortable with it. You also might want to try a cleaner for foot prints, left behind folders. Clean Up! is free. You run it 1st in demo mode--see if you approve before the real job. :thumbsup:

I forsure agree. Its what I use and the only one I trust. After a year of useing it no issues here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users