Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Need Help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 chlazzaro177

chlazzaro177

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 30 October 2006 - 10:58 PM

Does anyone know of any good websites to show me how to solve these answers?
I DON"T WANT THE ANSWERS. I just need a good website that can help me figure it out. The book i'm reading doesn't really help me. Or maybe it just isn't detailed enough for me to understand.

Your computer has a IP Address of 172.18.56.17 with a subnet mask of 255.255.248.0. Which of the following IP addresses are on your local subnet.

What is the maximum number of workstations the subnet mask 255.255.240 can support on the local subnet?

You have been assigned the network address 172.32.0.0 to use on your LAN. You need to divide the network into seven subnets. What subnet mask do you use.

You have been assigned the network ID 172.16.5.0 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. What is the maximum number of workstations you can have on the subnet?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 31 October 2006 - 11:08 AM

PCChuck has a good networking website
EZLan.net is also good
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 chlazzaro177

chlazzaro177
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:44 PM

I looked through ezlan and got dizzy. I'll have to look at it again after work. I couldn't find pcchuck.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 01 November 2006 - 10:36 AM

Here's one of his pages:
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/10/irre...visibility.html

FWIW - Networking gives me a headache also! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 chlazzaro177

chlazzaro177
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2006 - 10:17 PM

thanks a lot Usasma!

#6 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 02 November 2006 - 10:51 AM

Realistically the only way to explain how to do sub netting is to answer the questions really. But explain how you got the answer. I will start with a few things that you need to know.
A IP address can't end with 0 or 255. So this means for each class C subnet you can have a total of 254 IP addresses.
Class A subnet is as follows 255.0.0.0
Class B subnet is as follows 255.255.0.0
Class C subnet is as follows 255.255.255.0
Each part of the ip address is broken down into Binary.
So Binary for a Class C Subnet would be

But I have just found something that will help explain.

http://www.learntosubnet.com/Subnet_Section_helper.htm

It is a very hard thing to get your head arround. Basically either learn and remember how many subnets go with which subnet mask and where the IP addresses run from each subnet or get really good at binary.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users