Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox 1.5 Will Not Open

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 LaFemmeMichele

LaFemmeMichele

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 30 October 2006 - 10:52 PM

Hi,
When clicking on the FF icon on my desktop the browser will not open. I get a WindowsXP error message: firefox.exe has encountered a problem & needs to close. firefox.exe isn't listed in task manager. FF was loading very slowly for a day or so prior to its not opening. I've been doing a little reading re possible causes & I do have SiteAdvisor. What exactly is FF safe mode? I'd like some direction on how to proceed. My level is newbie plus--I put FF together! :thumbsup: Please throw some knowledge my way. Thanks.
O how I long for the days when a geek was merely a performer of the grotesque. -M

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:09 PM

Have a read thru the tutorial on How to Start Windows In Safe Mode.
Then have a look at this article called When Firefox Crashes.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 LaFemmeMichele

LaFemmeMichele
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:34 PM

Hi,
I was referring to All Programs>Mozilla Firefox>Mozilla Firefox (Safe mode).
Are you implying that it has crashed because it won't open? I was reading on Mozillazine's commonly asked FF questions Ques #1 "Why won't Firefox start?" - or something to that effect. It addressed a situation where the program was still running (error message differed from mine) & another FF/SiteAdvisor conflict. It's crashed? I'm confused! :thumbsup:
O how I long for the days when a geek was merely a performer of the grotesque. -M

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2006 - 12:06 AM

The Firefox/Safe Mode is a trouble shooting option. All extensions will be disabled,it will revert back to the default theme.The default toolbar settings and controlswill be used.

firefox.exe has encountered a problem & needs to close.

This message usually indicates a crash.

So you were on the right track,go into Firefox Safe Mode and do some trouble shooting. Yes,it could be an extension issue.
(Sorry if I confused you when I thought you meant Windows safe mode)
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 LaFemmeMichele

LaFemmeMichele
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2006 - 02:30 AM

Hi,
Was thinking about going in & resetting the toolbar & customizations back to default. You have to go in to Tools>Extensions to remove SiteAdvisor. It reads you either make changes (resetting the toolbar...) & restart or continue in to go to Tools... in which case the changes (resetting the toolbar...) won't be made. So what? You make two trips in?

I found a page that has all the known add on conflicts/solutions--great!

Edited by LaFemmeMichele, 31 October 2006 - 03:35 AM.

#6 Tim64

Tim64

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 31 October 2006 - 09:31 AM

Have you given opera a shot. New version sure smokes both i.e. and firefox for speeds. That is with my set up and my browsing habits. Dosen't crash like fire fox. Im myslef use to use firefox alot. See alot of ex fire fox users in the opera forums. Not saying it would work best for you. May not. With opera being free now what do you have to loose? Try firefox for 2 weeks then opera for 2 weeks and you may make the switch like I did. I got rid of all the stuff I never used in the browser and have not only my bookmarks but a few other handy things in my right click option. I used to think firefox was the fastest. That is til I have opera a shot.

#7 LaFemmeMichele

LaFemmeMichele
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2006 - 12:27 PM

Hi,
Omigod! Firefox Safe mode is terrific! Went right in--looks much better than Windows safe mode--went to Tools>Extensions & removed all but a half dozen add ons. After reading last night, I knew which extentions were problematic. I made sure I had the recommended combos/versions. Exited FF & abracadabra it opened right up! :thumbsup:

I'd like to try Opera. I understand it's more difficult to use. True?

Edited by LaFemmeMichele, 01 November 2006 - 02:07 AM.

#8 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2006 - 03:14 PM

Try Firefox Safe Mode for a while and see if it still crashes. If not, then its an extension,probably Site Advisor.
Read Guide to Using Firefox in Safe Mode.
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#9 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 31 October 2006 - 06:25 PM

To be honest I would not bother mucking around with trying to get FF going, why don't you just reinstall FF and get it going using a fresh install of the program.
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#10 LaFemmeMichele

LaFemmeMichele
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2006 - 02:45 AM

T Mack & Computer Whiz... I'didn't realize there were any other posts. Thanks for your advice.

I was leaning towards removing it & doing a clean install of FF 2. I didn't want to monkey around & wind up with a bue screen. I thought I'd just have a look... I don't think I'd truly crashed. SiteAdvisor remained after I'd removed it from Tools>Extensions in Safe mode. McAfee doesn't like to leave when asked! I have my settings for direct connection--the issue was a conflict with proxy configurations, as well as with updating SA. Apparently it can't be updated from within FF. Going to leave it for now-- Keep an eye on it the next time there's an update. :thumbsup:

#11 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 01 November 2006 - 05:14 AM

Hi LaFemmeMichelle

Opera is certainly not difficult to use, why not give it a try. You are not confined to either/or with browsers.
I use IE7 for MS related things and as my GMail homepage, FF2 with Bleeping Computer as homepage, and Opera 9 for Yahoo. If you have the resources, you can have them all running at once without a problem.

Try out things and choose which suits you. If things turn to custard, a simple reboot or system restore will fix most problems - that's what they are there for. Good luck.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#12 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2006 - 11:46 AM

Have a look thru Uninstalling Extensions.
About updating Site Advisor,go to Tools/Extensions and click on the Find Updates Button. Or if there is already an update waiting to be d/l,click on the Update Now Button. Then restart Firefox.

How did things run in Firefox Safe Mode LaFemmeMichele?
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#13 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 01 November 2006 - 01:54 PM

Updating Siteadvisor from the browser, has caused problems before.
Mcafee Siteadvisor Acting Against Ff?!?

What version of Siteadvisor are you using?

The best thing to do, is uninstall Siteadvisor first, then download and install the updated version.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users