Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Ram Trouble

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Xaurudame

Xaurudame

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 30 October 2006 - 08:49 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 1100 for which i bought 2 sticks of 512 MB RAM. When put into the laptop the computer will not recognize the memory and makes 3 beeping sounds followed by a pause and another beep. The system will not boot. Company i bought the RAM from says i need to download an update to my BIOS but the download from Dell will not install saying my system does not support the update.
I know what to do normally in these types of situations but this time I am confused. PLEASE HELP ME!!!
:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 30 October 2006 - 08:52 PM

Well you may have already thought of this but is it the right kind for your laptop? Also can you try it on someone elses laptop, you never know every once in a while there are some faulty rams.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 31 October 2006 - 09:36 AM

I cannot locate the specific beep codes for your system - but most of the similar beep codes refer to memory problems. Since you've installed new memory it's not a great leap to suspect that this is the problem (especially since the company that sold it to you told you you'd need a BIOS upgrade to use it).

BIOS upgrades (flashes) are very tricky. If you try and upgrade from version A06 to version A22, the flash is likely to fail. You'd have to take it in smaller steps (there's no exact answer to how many steps) in order to make it work.

Please give us the version information for your BIOS. If you don't know where it is, here's a free tool that may help out: http://www.gtopala.com/index.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users