Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free Virtual Machine Offers Super-secure Browsing

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 scratcher

scratcher

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 30 October 2006 - 05:48 PM

Hi All:

I just ran into a free offer that promises to make browsing, or anything else for that matter, super-secure.

So far as I can understand it the idea is that, after installing a Virtual Machine (VM) in your computer, you can then create an OS clone inside of it in which you can operate with perfect security because at the end of your session when you shut down everything simply disappears including viruses, trojans, and any other malware you may have picked up during the session.

At the start of your next session you simply create a brand new fresh clone and you're ready to roll again.

The free VM - VMware Player 1.0.2 - along with a virus-safe Internet browser that is also free - Browser-Appliance 1.0 - can be downloaded at:

http://www.vmware.com/download/player/

http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/dire...browserapp.html

There are some great reviews of the player on the net that explain the VM concept far better than I can. Here's one good one:

'Why you should try VMWares free virtual machine runtime' by David Berlind

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/index.php?p=2060

There's also another - 'The Internet is a Bad Neighborhood' - which claims that: "Surfing the web with the Browser Appliance is 99.9% safe" but I've misplaced the bookmark.

So it sounds like a great concept (apparently Vista will include its own VM) and I'd love to try it but unfortunately the browser weighs in at a hefty 258 MB and looks as if it needs more memory than I can afford to spare.

But if there are any adventurous spirits around here who decide to take this player for a spin it would be interesting to hear about their experience.

Cheers,

scratcher.

Edited by scratcher, 30 October 2006 - 06:07 PM.

* HP Pavilion dv7 *  2.20 gigahertz AMD Phenom II N850 Triple-Core *  4.0 GB RAM  *  Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) *   Firefox 3.6.17 * Thunderbird 3.1.11 *  Comodo Firewall  *  Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1 Pro *  avast! Free Anti-Virus 2014.9.0.2007  *  Erunt  *

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users