Hi all... I really really REALLY need some expert HELP here...
XP Pro 2002 SP2
Pentium 4 3.20GHz ~ 1GB Ram
HP Compaq dc7100 Intel
Norton Internet Security 2006
Windows Updates are current
System has been De-Fragmented
Computer is maybe not quite 1 yr old
I originally posted a plea for help on Oct23rd:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/69293/xp-sporadic-hang-ups/
I also posted a HijackThis log on Oct 23rd:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/69485/unknown-problem/
Haven't heard back about any of this since I posted the log, so thot I would cry for help again. Hope this isn't against Protocol... Everything is summarized below:
I did everything advised initially on the XP Forum:
1. Installed and ran AdAwareSE: It found 129 "problems". They were all tracking cookies (Data Miner). Fixed them and ran program again - all clear
2. Installed and ran Spybot: It found 7 problems. Four were monitoring cookies... 3 were simply the Windows security functions that are disabled because I have Norton Security 2006. Fixed the 4 - again all clear
3. Performed at least 3 FULL SYSTEM scans... all show clear
4. Posted a Hijack log and was told to wait for an answer and do nothing else. After 5 days with no word I posted a follow up per the instructions: "if no response in 5 days post a link to your log in this thread"... Still no answer. To my uneducated eye (and also to my hubby's somewhat more educated eye) my Hijack Log doesn't seem to point to any problems... But I haven't heard from anyone about it one way or another.
My problem and dilemma.... and possible reason for me to give up on computers and become a Sunflower Seed farmerette:
Periodically my computer will hang up. When it does I cannot do anything: e.g., right click, open a new Window (any kind), bring up a CMD prompt, engage Task Manager, click on Taskbar... nothing will work. However, I can move the mouse, and I can click "X" to close a window. Sometimes that will allow me to open a new window or perform some other function, sometimes it just keeps backing me down to fewer and fewer windows. This can happen with as few as 2-3 windows open, or sometimes I can have 10++ open. No rhyme or reason to what's open or when it happens (AM, PM... all times of day or nite). No problems reported in the Event Logs.
The problem started for me when we switched to T-Lab wireless internet service on Sep27, 2006.
We have 4 computers on our home network, I am the ONLY one experiencing difficulties.
I have NO problems when working with a dial-up internet connection
I have NO problems when working with a satellite internet connection
I ONLY have the problem when working with T-LAB Wireless internet connection
We have done the following in an attempt to resolve the problem:
1. We disconnected my USB Wireless Adapter (Linksys WUSB54GC), uninstalled it, and hardwired me to the router. That didn't help
2. We deleted and reestablished my Network Connection. That didn't help
3. We ran netsh to completely reinitialize my TCP/IP connections (or whatever they're called). That didn't help.
4. At least 3 Full System scans... all clear
5. Defragmented the computer
6. Looked for bad things with Ad-aware and Spybot and found nothing momentous...
- 3 out 4 pcs show NO similar symptoms (ALL are running XP)
- 2 out of 3 internet connections work just fine for me without any freezes or hang-ups
- wireless or hardwired doesn't make a difference
- the satellite/wireless internet connections likely working thru the same NIC, so probably also OK
- Proverbial bushes have been beaten for bad things (malware, viruses, etc) and I am clean
- It's ONLY when I'm using the T-Lab wireless Internet service that I experience these random freezes...
Does ANYONE have any suggestions?
Pleeeeeeeeeeze help a poor country girl in the middle of nowhere Texas
I am soooooo frustrated (plus hubby says I'm getting really cranky)