Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rebuilt

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TheEnglandSniper

TheEnglandSniper

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 30 October 2006 - 02:54 PM

Hi Folks,
i have just reformatted my friends laptop as it wouldn't boot up in anyway i know possible.its a nc6120 HP laptop.my friend hasnt given me the motherboard disc or tbh no driver cd of any kind. i used my own version of XP PRO to build it as it thankfully had the code on the bottom as friend has lost any cd's he had with LT.my question is do i actually need the driver disc or wen i connect to windows update will it do all the updating for me.in the past i have always had the MB disc and i dont know how to go about the next stage.i have been on HP's driver site but goto admit to being a litlle confused as to wot drivers i should use on thier long list.as wen i use me Mb disc its usually not much more than 5 drivers seem to go on.
many thnx in advance for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 30 October 2006 - 07:15 PM

Maybe it would help if you told us what happens when you boot the system. In complete sentences. Using proper punctuation and grammar. Because honestly, I can't tell if the boot up problem was because of the reformat, or your reformat caused the problem. And if it wouldn't boot in the first place, what led you to believe that a reformat would fix the issue?

And second, using your legitimate copy of XP on another system is illegal. Microsoft sort of keeps track of serial numbers and things like that, so there is a good chance that when they see your serial number come up on another computer, then it will flag both of your computers as not having valid copies. I'm not saying it will happen. I'm saying it could happen.

#3 TheEnglandSniper

TheEnglandSniper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 31 October 2006 - 03:03 PM

1 i reformatted laptop because it wouldnt boot up. Even tho i tried to reboot it in safe mode and ,tried to restart it at last known working state. i also tried to repair the XP before i reformatted but that didn't help either.Perhaps if i had a copy of the backup cd i wouldnt of needed to reformatt but i didnt.we were not worried about losing any files on laptop as my friend only uses it for surfing and storing his photo's and a bit of music . we have copies of all his photos anyway as he's a very close friend and his music he can reload again.
2. i used my Copy of XP to install on his Laptop Using his code i found on the bottom of his laptop.NOT MY OWN code Just my Disc
3 my English may not be as good as yours my Honourable Friend but tbh honest i would of thought MB would mean MotherBoard to some1 as learned as yourself.i dont see anything wrong with wot i put down m8 to me it makes perfect sense. but i wrote it :thumbsup:
4 i have now fixed the laptop now anyway .i just read a bit deeper into their faq's and i found it really easy.obviously not as easy as having the laptop driver disc but easy enough.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users