Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Did Repair Reinstall And Need To Resurrect My User Folder

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 polyvw

polyvw

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 30 October 2006 - 02:34 PM

Hey,

A few days ago uninstalled Norton Antivirus, which caused my system to not start up due to a missing driver. To resolve this, I reinstalled windows xp on the current partition, overwriting the prev. install. After doing this, I realized that everything from my desktop folder was gone (pictures, school stuff, itunes folder).

Is there any way to recover the lost info? I looked in Docs and Settings which shows my old User folder, but it wont allow access and props says it's empty.

Is there a way to use system restore, or any other program to get the desktop folder back?

I tried system restore but the only checkpoint it has is after the reinstall.

Searched the computer, didnt come up with any of the 3000 picture files.

PLEASE HELP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Hellish

Hellish

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 30 October 2006 - 03:06 PM

There may be a setting in BIOS that can revert your machine to an earlier date. I saw it earlier today, forget the name though :thumbsup: .

I'm no expert though so I'd just take this as a personal opinion.

Sorry if you lost them though, has to stink....

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2006 - 03:43 PM

You might try searching for data recovery software and search for specific files or types of files, but if you reinstalled XP doing a fresh install that included a format on the same partition it is doubtful that you can recover any data from that partition without destroying the XP installation, and even then it is doubtful that any but the most specialized (and expensive) recovery software and someone very proficient at data recovery would be able to accomplish much.

There are services that specialize in data recovery. They are very costly and even then there is no guarantee of success because it depends on what you have overwritten and how many times it has been overwritten.
How much is the data worth to you?

Edited by Enthusiast, 30 October 2006 - 03:47 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2006 - 06:15 AM

If the old profile is empty - then you've probably lost it. To recover it, I'd suggest the freeware program here: http://www.pcinspector.de/

If it's just an Access Denied problem - try taking ownership of the files by using the Advanced button on the Security tab for the file/folder's Properties.

Here's a quick HowTo on Access Denied errors: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/42756/how-to-fix-an-access-denied-errors/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users