Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Hangs When Turn Off Computer Selected In Windows

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jax81

Jax81

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:36 AM

I am having trouble with a 6 month old IBM R51 laptop - when I select TURN OFF COMPUTER from within Windows and the START button - the computer sometimes hangs and will not shut down. I have to press the power button to reset. Any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 30 October 2006 - 12:35 PM

Welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

There are many possible causes, however there is one common cause. Often XP's exit sound file gets corrupt and if it does not run then XP won't shut down. I am not sure based on what you have told us so far if this is the issue or not, but let's see:

Go to:

Start > Control Panel > Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices > Sounds and Audio Devices > Sounds tab

Under Program Events scroll down until you see Exit Windows. Highlight Exit Windows by clicking on it once. Then under Sounds choose None. Click Apply and finally OK.

Reboot if possible, or shut down computer and restart manually. Once it is up and running, shut down computer by going to Start > Turn Off Computer. See if it will shut down on it's own now.

If it does, the only difference will be that you will not longer hear the 2 seconds of music that XP usually plays as it shuts down.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Jax81

Jax81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 30 October 2006 - 12:52 PM

Thanks Albert. Appreciate the response. I have tried what you suggested and it has worked so far.

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 30 October 2006 - 01:30 PM

Great. Glad to help.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users