Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Install Sp2

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Reena

Reena

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:06 AM

I received this e-mail from my son this afternoon. He cannot install SP2 and, as support for SP1 ends this month I am anxious this problem is resolved.

I asked for "error" messages and this is what he wrote:

Just tried to install SP2 again-no joy.SP1 all up to date,Anti virus off,no firewall etc.After it was installed it says it has to reboot to finalise.Blue screen comes up saying Problem detected Windows shutting down to prevent damage.
Also says ensure enough space on drive(I have 120+ free so not that) make sure BIOS drivers are up to date(no idea how to do this or what BIOS I have) and disable BIOS memory options such as caching and shading(????).
At the bottom of the screen it has technical report

***STOP:0XC0000007E (0XC0000005,0XB865A750,0XBA4C7430,0XBA4C712C)

That's exactly how it is written.Not sure if the first three are * or not as very blurry on blue screen,but that's the nearest icon on the keyboard I can find(Shift and 8).The only space is between letter E and (

If anyone can solve this problem we would be so grateful. Our thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:59 AM

The error message helps a lot! Unfortunately, this is a very broad error message - so we'll need some more info:

Have him take a look at this HowTo and see if he can provide some more info: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2006 - 01:34 PM

I just thought I would chime in here and say that SP2 will not install on an infected computer. If this computer has been connected to Limewire or some other peer to peer file sharing website, such as Kazaa, then it is probably infected.

He should first make absolutely sure the computer is not infected.

Also, in my experience, SP2 installs much better from a disk than it does from a download. You can order a disk HERE. This, of course, would especially be the preferred course of action for someone with a slow internet connection as it is a huge download.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 Reena

Reena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2006 - 05:58 AM

Edited by Reena, 01 November 2006 - 12:20 PM.

#5 Reena

Reena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2006 - 12:33 PM

Dave has been able to download the appropriate driver and the unzipped file has been "sent" to Documents/Settings.

This is probably a stupid question on my part but is the driver automatically picked up by BIOS or does he have to go through some setting-up process?

I would welcome your advice and than you in advance.

#6 Reena

Reena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2006 - 12:37 PM

Dave has downloaded and unzipped the appropriate BIOS driver. This has been "sent" to Documents/Settings.

Please forgive a stupid question but doesn't he have to do something else to get things to work?

Your advice would be most gratefully received. My thanks.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2006 - 07:14 AM

A BIOS flash is a very dangerous procedure. There will be instructions on exactly how to do it at the site where you downloaded the file from

Follow those instructions exactly.
Do not interrupt the flash under any circumstances (even a power surge can mess it up).
Don't press any keys until you are asked to. Then double-check before pressing them.
Make sure that this is the appropriate version for your system, if there's doubt, don't use it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Reena

Reena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2006 - 09:51 AM

Thank you for that information, John. I am reluctant to advise Younger son to go ahead as he is not too savvy with a PC!

I will find the Driver site and check out any instructions I can find. He was advised to download this driver by a Mesh support person but not warned what could happen. Naughty that.

As support for SP1 is now caput Dave is anxious to see SP2 installed on his PC.

Thank you again; most kind to issue that warning.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2006 - 10:04 AM

A bad BIOS flash can destroy the chip that houses the BIOS on the motherboard. So, then either a replacement chip or a new motherboard is needed - not real fun.

As long as the instructions are followed exactly to the letter - then all should go well. BUT, even the smallest difference can cause problems.

For example:
1) one slight difference (could even just be one letter) in the filename of the flash file can mean that you'll fry your BIOS
2) a power surge, brownout, or hiccup in the power system can cause this (not much you can do to prevent this)
3) A small child or a cat, dog, etc can bump your computer or keyboard - that can cause it to fail also
4) Idle fingers can cause problems (well, let me just tap the spacebar to see if it's still working).
5) Misreading the smallest part of the onscreen directions and answering the wrong thing can hose it.
6) I'm sure that there's also plenty of other things that I've missed.

FWIW - I've done about 20 of these over the years and haven't had one fail on me yet. But I've come close to putting the wrong one on my system and only realized it at the last second before I executed it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users