Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen Error

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 dark messenger

dark messenger

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 30 October 2006 - 07:19 AM

I get a blue screen error everytime I turn on my computer, this what it says

Stop: c0000218 {registry file failure}

System cant load the hive (FILE)
\systemroot\system32\config\software
or its log or alternative

It is corrupt, absent or not writeable

What should I do?

Cheers

DM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 30 October 2006 - 07:41 AM

Hi dark messenger
See this article.
Read the warning if it's an oem installation.

#3 dark messenger

dark messenger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2006 - 08:03 AM

Thanks for the hasty reply.. =)

Whats the OEM installation..

I have XP home, SP2... does that mean anything.. will read the document now...

I think I still have my XP CD somewhere, if not, am I completely screwed, as my warranty has expired.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 30 October 2006 - 08:22 AM

Can you get into Windows at all? If you can (and have network connectivity), then try this free, online scan (it'll scan your registry among other things): http://safety.live.com/

If you can get the boot screen up - have you tried "Last known good configuration"?

Have you tried System Restore from the command prompt? (I'm not familiar with this, so I can't offer suggestions)

Have you tried a repair install of Windows XP? Here's a link on how to do it: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Also, sometimes these problems are caused by hardware errors. I'd suggest that you check the SMART status of your hard drive (should be an option for this when the system first boots - before getting into Windows) and checking your memory using this free tool: http://www.memtest86.com/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 dark messenger

dark messenger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:50 AM

Hi usama, i can only get as far as typing in my boot password unfortunately.

Hi Hitsquad, i was following the instructions you gave the link to, and on the STEP one, I accidently missed out a line... the copy software... i got to step two and i then realised. as the computer restarted, i got this message:

lass.exe

an invalid parameter has passed to a service or function

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:55 AM

I'd suggest finding your XP CD and product key. A repair installation will preserve your data and programs - and will get Windows up and running again. Just follow the directions here: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 dark messenger

dark messenger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2006 - 03:21 PM

Thanks, will i loose everything by doing that?

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2006 - 03:24 PM

No- you will not loose your data with a REPAIR INSTALLATION, but a repair may or may not work completely.

You will lose your data with a full installation which requires formatting the hard drive.

#9 dark messenger

dark messenger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2006 - 04:14 PM

nothings working

in the recovery console - its not accepting my admin password (blank)

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2006 - 05:08 PM

You may be able to use any login with admin privileges.

#11 dark messenger

dark messenger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2006 - 05:24 PM

On the recovery console, when it comes up to select what OS you want to run the repair on, I choose number 1, as its the nly one, and then it asks for the administrators password. Which should be blank, but it does not accept this, and if i try the password I use to login with when i normally use my computer (i have admin priviliges) it still says the admin password is incorrect, therefore i cannot get any futher to follow any of the instructions that people have listed above =)

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2006 - 06:33 AM

There's fixes available for the recovery console issue - but are you trying to repair using the recovery console? My link is for repairing without the Recovery Console.

You'll avoid the selection for recovery console in the first screen (it's not really the repair that we're looking for), and then (around the 3rd screen) you'll be given the option to repair the current Windows installation.

Step 3 in the link that I gave describes this situation.
Step 5 is the step where you select the Repair option.

#13 dark messenger

dark messenger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2006 - 07:08 AM

On part one, one of the lines isnt working... the

copy c:\sdfdfdhz\jklhjklhjklh\jkhjklhklh\software c:\dflghdjkhjkhjkh\jkhjklh\software.bak...

that line doesnt copy... I skipped it, and the lines for it on the next few stages... when I got to step two when it restarts, it came up with the message

lass.exe

an invalid parameter has passed to a service or function

I tried to do it all again, but it now asks for a password in the recovery console, abnd ive tried everything, and it doesnt accept any password. I know the password should be blank, but just pressing enter, gives me the incorrect password message.

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2006 - 07:32 AM

OK, what's the objective now? I'm starting to suspect that this is more severe than we originally thought and am starting to wonder if a clean install will be needed.

What do you want to save off of the system?

#15 dark messenger

dark messenger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:23 AM

Just my uni work+music, the rest I dont mind getting back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users