Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Network & Wireless Isp

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Leesmethurst

Leesmethurst

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 30 October 2006 - 06:46 AM

Hi Guys, I have been having a problem setting up a wireless network on a boat, whos internet connection (ISP) is via a wireless adapter in the boats only desktop PC. I want to set the wireless network up so people (with laptops) can access the internet through a wireless network (and out via the desktops wireless internet connection). I have tried to set it up using a wireless router which we had already(Trendnet TEW-431BRP), to act only as a wireless access point (no connection to the WAN port).

Do I need to buy a wireless access point instead?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 01 November 2006 - 10:34 AM

Could you describe the network setup in a bit more detail?

Is this a wireless ISP (such as Verizon is debuting around the country)?

How do you connect to the ISP (modem)?

Are you using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) (IMO, it's not a good thing)?

If you're setup for it, I'd suggest a wireless router to connect all the devices - then use the router to hook to the modem. This will effectively share your Internet connection to all of the PC's.

Lot's more to add to this subject (about security and limitations), but that'll come after I learn a bit more about your network setup.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Leesmethurst

Leesmethurst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2006 - 12:18 PM

Thanks for responding,

Network setup; There is no network at the moment, as I cannot get the Trendnet Router working properly (I think it is looking for a direct feed in to the WAN port from a broadband modem). I wanted to use this router (Trendnet TEW-431BURP) as a wireless access point only (as the boat does not have any form of telephone line coning in to it.

The ISP: we connect to this using a wireless adapter, I think it is just a local provider for the bit of coast we are on in France TEKWORLD. so no modems are involved.

ICS, yes that was the intention, to have the boats PC connected to the wireless ISP, then all the laptops share that internet connection using ICS, via our own wileless network on the boat, using the router as an access point connected to the pc using its network card.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks

Lee

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2006 - 02:56 PM

It's a bit confusing.

OK, first, there's got to be some way to connect to the ISP - this normally involves some sort of modem (wired or wireless). Is this modem physically connected to a cable/phone line - or does it connect wirelessly to the ISP (this wireless ISP stuff isn't real common in the US - but I don't have any current knowledge about conditions in Europe)? I found the TEKWORLD website - but my high school French isn't good enough for it.

Is the physical location of the modem close enough to the boat for the wireless connection to access a wireless router connected to the modem with a wired connection?

If so, it'd be easiest just to connect directly to the wireless router from each PC (they each must have a wireless card installed)

Using ICS will require that you "route" the connection through at least one other PC - and if it has problems then all of your connections won't work.

But, if this is a wireless connection to the ISP - then you should be able to connect through a wireless router (depending on the standard that they use) - once again it'll have to be close enough to ensure that you've got good signal strength.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2006 - 05:52 AM

From what I can tell about this is you are connecting from you desktop PC on the boat to a wireless access point on the shore.

Now there is 2 ways we can interpret this.
Either you are looking to connect to this single connection for use on more machines to save on the hourly connection fee.
Or you could connect the laptops direct to the wireless access point on the shore.

I gather you were not hoping for this solution to work while out at sea.
Posted Image

#6 Leesmethurst

Leesmethurst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2006 - 06:27 PM

Yes you got it there.

We have one access code (an annual subscription) for the boat, and at the moment all the crew laptops can connect to the shore wireless access point individually (or the desktop PC) using there built in wireless adapters. The problem arises when more than one of us wants to connect at the same time.

Hence what i wanted to do was permanently connect the desktop PC to the shore access point and then have a separate wireless network on the boat, that used the "Shared" internet connection on the Desktop pc.

All the laptops can access the wireless router (trendnet), but the router doesn't seem to like NOT having a modem plugged in to the WAN port.

I have tried setting it up so the router is connected to the Desktop using an ethernet cable (PC network card to one of the LAN ports on the router).

Hope this gives a bit more infomation.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2006 - 04:50 PM

I'd suspect that to do this, you'd have to use Internet Connection Sharing and enable it on all the shipside systems (using the desktop as the main system that's shared).

Regretfully, I don't have any recent experience with ICS, so can't be of much help there.

#8 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2006 - 10:05 AM

The only way I can see this happening is it you setup your own subnet network. This will involve setting up your connection to net pc as a server. Then using a wireless access point off a ethernet port on the server. Use that to split the network. Make sure the IP addressing is on a differant subnet to the wireless internet Ip address range.
then setup your wireless access point on the new subnet. Enable DHCP so that all laptops will connect to it and gain a correct IP address range. then on the Wireless Access point set the default gateway as the IP address of the Boats machine. You will probably need to set the Boat PC as a router for it to direct the traffic off to the correct points and back correctly.

I have to say this will be quite a advanced setup for a boat.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users