Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drm Error

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MrClose

MrClose

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 30 October 2006 - 03:01 AM

This has been a frustrating problem for over three months now.

I am owed 3 music downdloads from Walmart dot com.

The problem is that when I click on the purchase tab, a window comes up, (from walmart).

The message is: You have a problem with windows media DRM.
Please email or call us at .. yadda, yadda, yadda. (My yaddas)

I've downloaded the Media Player 11 because I was getting this message on the Media Player 10 version and thought the upgrade would help.

Nope, Same deal.

I've searched high and low for an answer but it seems like most issues on drm are dealing with burning or ripping cds.
I'm only trying to download the music to my media player.

Thank You for any information that I may have overlooked.

Mc :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 01 November 2006 - 09:21 AM

Have you been downloading/peer2peering.. and then playing them in the Media Player? If so, then it's very possible that you have been playing copyrighted material, and they know it. In case you don't know it, everytime you load a file into Windows Media Player, it sends that information back to the Internet.

I'm not saying that's your problem, but it could be.

Can you play any other movies or whatever in it ok? If so, I personally still would use another player. There are FREE players that play .wmv files, and they don't spy on you either.

If you have to get your downloads through Windows Media Player from Wal-Mart, my guess is that you're being monitored. Incase you don't know this either,,,, Wal-Mart is one of the major sponsors supporting the the RFID chips. I wouldn't put it pass them. And since there is a DRM war going on, I wouldn't even entertain the thought of downloading anything from any of them, because you could be, and are probably giving them a way to scan your computer to see what's on it.

Again, none of what I'm saying is concrete for your situation, but all of what I said, is true, and not speculations, or just my opinion. I've mentioned this before, but here is a list of tracking software you should remove from your computer... and yes..... there are FREE replacements for them that doesn't track/spy on you either.

Windows Media Player
Real Player
iTunes

All of the above does track/monitor you. And if you're using any of those features on those media players like, listing songs for you to choose, making libraries of your content and all of that,,, they're gathering that information up, and you better hope you're not loading any DRM material on them. They also have tracking/codes and so forth in those files too.

This may be more than what you wanted to hear, and someone else may tell you your problem is something else.... I, at least told you what's going on.

Last, but not least.... if I'm going to buy any movies and music, I'm not going to buy it online. I'm going to get me a physical hard copy of it. When you buy movies and music online, they're coded with information that links directly back to you, and even if 5 years from now you decided to share what you bought, or even if someone stole it from you, and shared it online.... I guess you know who's door the FBI is going to come knocking on. Yes.. your door.

Get you a different player and stop letting them track you.

[ADDED] And go tell Wal-Mart to refund your money.

Edited by Walkman, 01 November 2006 - 09:28 AM.

#3 MrClose

MrClose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 02 November 2006 - 03:56 AM

Thanks Walkman!

I'm one of those computer illiterates that has been learning the hard way: blue screens, power offs, crashes etc, etc. LOL

Mc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users