Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sfc /scannow

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MGBY

MGBY

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 30 October 2006 - 01:34 AM

On : sfc /scannow, what and when and how do you use this application? Thank you very much. YOYO. :thumbsup: :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:43 AM

The System File Checker will compare the file versions of "protected system files" on your system with your original installation media - and will replace those that don't agree with the version on the installation media.

This then requires a visit to Windows Update to ensure that you haven't "down-dated" any of the protected system files that were updated by Windows Update.

Also, it's not a friendly tool - it won't tell you when it's done and won't suggest anything but to insert your XP CD.

It's the step that I take just before recommending a repair install of XP. I haven't found a list of the "protected system files" but suppose that it's easy enough to locate.

Remember that the "protected system files" are only a sub-set of "system files" - so that it won't fix all problems. Also, if these files were "protected" in the first place - how did they get changed? (just food for thought).

Here's a HowTo about it: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 MGBY

MGBY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2006 - 02:00 AM

:thumbsup: USASMA SIR: I will check out the site you have facilitated. Can you tell me under what condition(s), would I use this tool? If I have been advised to do a repair or reinstall of XP, should I try this first prior to embarking on repair /reinstall XP? Do you use this tool?/when & why did you this tool? I had an issue with installshield scripting engine missing, in which I was advised to to do a reinstall/repair XP, would using sfc/scannow being suffice in bringing about resolution to enable me to reinstall ITune?? Since this tool is applied to check protected system files, and been protected files in the first place, if some files were changed- how were they altered or been manipulated??? I am really scratching my head on this one, please enlighten me !!!! Thank you very much for all your assistance. you really make the difference. And I learn so much from you each day. APPRECIATED. take care. YOYO. :flowers: :trumpet:

Edited by MGBY, 01 November 2006 - 02:08 AM.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2006 - 10:20 AM

Using this tool is appropriate if you think that there may be problems with "protected system files". It definitely can't hurt to use it before going through with a repair installation of XP - but don't expect it to be cure-all for problems like this (I expect to be of more use with errors in the operating system itself, rather than with external stuff like install shield, etc)

"Do you use this tool" No. But not because of it's abilities - but rather I find it easier to restore my system with an imaged copy that I keep rather than troubleshooting the constant problems that I face. I highly recommend it's use when appropriate.

Here's some links about it from Microsoft:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/222193/EN-US/
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/222473/
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default...._start_page.asp
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default...._windows_xp.asp

Also, there's this great freeware tool that I also advise using in certain circumstances (such as installshield not working): http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix#Standard_version
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 MGBY

MGBY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2006 - 09:50 AM

:thumbsup: USASMA Sir: Sfc/scannow appeares to be a practical utility, unfortunately it is not a cure all as I was hoping that it can replace repair installation of XP. Now, since this utility specifically deals with protected system files, If I experienced a system error, would the given situation warrant the usage of sfc/scannow as a viable solution? Sure will check out those sites that you have suggested at MS. The link for the software you had provided, appears to be a tool that I can really use when related issue arises again with Installshield. Tell me, this software, would it be useful when I receive this message:" ---Installshield Script Engine is missing--run ISScript.msi.....?? One more thing, you did not tell me those "protected system files", if any are changed, being they are "protected", how were they changed???? I implore you to Please tell me, I cannot figure this one out, and I am dying to know! THANK YOU VERY MUCH SIR for all that you do. You really make the difference. Regards. YOYO. :flowers:

Edited by MGBY, 06 November 2006 - 09:55 AM.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2006 - 04:05 PM

Hi YOYO!

Well, now you're getting pretty deeply involved in stuff that I don't fully understand myself.

The DJLizard program is a good tool when a program won't work because of an unregistered dll. This can happen many different ways, but none of them are very obvious. I use it as a "just in case" tool when there's a problem with one of the specific programs listed in DialAFix.

Protected system files can (I think) differ from system to system. They're also stored (at least some of them) in the dllcache folder on your system, but I suspect that there's another location that stores information on them also.

They were changed because something got around the protection. The protection isn't a total block from changing them (otherwise you'd never be able to update them) - but it's rather that they're more protected than other system files.

Viruses can do this, Windows Update can do this, even random data corruption can do this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users