Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ms Crash Analysis?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MGBY

MGBY

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 30 October 2006 - 01:25 AM

When crashes occurs, Is it advisable to send error report to Microsoft? And, is their crash analysis proposed solutions credible? All advices are welcomed. Thanks. YOYO. :thumbsup: :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 30 October 2006 - 10:04 AM

In short - YES!

But, for the longer version....

Most commonly you won't get anything back - but this is because the error is so generic that there isn't anything specific that they can offer.

Next most common is the "you've got a bad driver" message - not much help, but better than nothing.

But at times, they'll pin it on an exact problem and will send you the exact solution (or a way to get the exact solution).

Finally, when the error report is generated, it usually contains a memory dump. This memory dump file can be analyzed to provide more in-depth information on the error. The catch is that they're usually stored in the Temp files - and they may be deleted once the report is sent.

So, by clicking the "Details" link you should be able to locate the dump file (this process will only work on those that end in .mdmp or .dmp). So, find it and save it somewhere.

Then use this link to generate an analysis of the dump file and post the results here for us to have a look at: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 MGBY

MGBY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2006 - 05:04 AM

USASMA SIR: This issue has been very frustrating as is conflicting. People tells me sent it, and there are people telling me don't even bother sending it for the very reasons you had delineated. I did sent report twice to MS and received two different analysis on the same problem. First analysis provided a detailed report with proposed solution and an alternate solution. The second MS report has no solution with a generic statement of possible problem with driver, and prompted me to keep the error report coming for analysis-when solution found, they will inform me. I did not know what to believe. To add to confusion, the three techs of my computer manufacture each proposed a different solution and all of them disagreed with MS's first crash analysis report generated solution of reinstall driver. It was getting really muddy. Your post has been very assuring. I will try to locate the dump files. You say they are stored in the temp files/ temp directory? So, only the files ending in mdmp or dmp are the one that should be used for further analysis? if none with these endings? Majorgeeks does troubleshooting on error reports? Does BCForum as well? Thank you very much for being there for me. Regards. YOYO. :thumbsup: :flowers:

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2006 - 09:40 AM

Generally, the .dmp and the .mdmp files are the only one's that will open in the Debugging tools mentioned in the Major Geeks post (there is at least one other type that won't open).

Once you've done the analysis - you can post the results anywhere you like. There's no formal "debugging analysis forum" that I've been able to find. But there are forum participants in many different forums who are skilled at interpreting this information.

So, just copy the report and paste it into your next post. We'll have a look at it and will see what we can do.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 MGBY

MGBY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2006 - 11:22 AM

USASMA SIR: I am afraid I can not locate the .dmp/.mdmp files, as I believe they may have been deleted accidentally. Nevertheless, when it happen again, I will be equipped with know how to handle it properly(credit to you sir). Currently, the crashes seem to have stopped(I think this may have something to do with running Window One care scan), correcting the litany of 350+ errors found in the registry. Since, there isn't a specific formal debugging analysis forum in dealing with critical error issues, don't you think it would be a good idea to have a subforum on BCForum available for the members to turn to for assistance? Is'nt there a need for this service? Thank you very much for all your help!! You have been absolutely an invaluable resource for all of us. I have learned immensely from you, and you have been a wonderful teacher. Most appreciated. Regards. YOYO. :thumbsup:

Edited by MGBY, 06 November 2006 - 11:35 AM.

#6 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 12:10 PM

Basically this is the way I see it. They are not forcing you to send the report. If you know the reason for the fault then don't send the report. If you actually want a little more info about the fault if it is available then send it.
N-one forces you to take the advise given back by the report but it will more often than not give you atleast a better understanding on where the fault lies. It is just like asking someone on here a que3stion there is no gaurentee they will get the answer right. Just like Windows reporting. but it is more likely that you will be closer to the issue or atleast you have narrowed a possible solution out. Therefor you will not waste time on trying it again.

It is upto you. I don't sendit most of the time but if I am stumped by a issue of a system falling over all the time I would send it just for a Little enlightenment.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2006 - 08:44 AM

Generally the .mdmp files are deleted once the report is sent - so you'll have to save them before sending the report. The "Details" link in the error report dialog will give you information on where to locate them.

Also, you can often find information on the dump in your Event Viewer's log files. Try this link for a quick overview: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users