Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Csrss.exe Consuming Lots Of Cpu Time

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Merlin66

Merlin66

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 29 October 2006 - 09:48 PM

I am running and IBM T40 laptop with WinXP SP2. Over the last several months, the performance on this machine has been slowly degrading. I run Norton Systems Works and am quite diligent about keeping things up to date. I run full scans every few days. I keep disks pretty free of clutter using Norton's CleanSweep. I run FireFox with privacy settings to trash everything at the end of a session. I also run SpyBot, AdAware and SpySweeper once a week (but none are "active" all the time). For that I run AVG's new spyware appl (was ewido). I was running SpySweeper before AVG for real time protection but found the SpySweeper would periodically take 60% of my CPU for minutes at a time about once every 30 minutes.

The most recent problem is csrss.exe. It has "suddenly" started consuming 20 to 30% of the CPU when ever I run certain Excel applications (no graphics). What makes matters worse it that it appears that AVG's guard.exe fires up as soon as csrss.exe does, consuming another 20% or so. I have never noticed this before, but ??? I know that there is a trojan/virus version of csrss.exe, but none of the protection tools I run have found anything.

Any thoughts on what I might explore, try, etc? I am about ready to reload the operating system and start from scratch.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2006 - 01:52 AM

It seems to depend upon where csrss is located, whether or not it is a needed Windows process or malware. The location for the legitimate process is:
C:\Windows\System32 folder. Even with "high priority" the consumption seems high.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 30 October 2006 - 10:11 AM

If it's not the virus - then it appears that you have a problem with your Windows system files (although it could also be with Office/Excel)

1) Check your Event Viewer for error messages around this time. Here's a link to a HowTo: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

It was written with BSOD error in mind. To apply it to your situation, I'd suggest concentrating on the errors in the Application section (but still check the System and Security subsections just to be sure). You don't have to look for the particular STOP error messages there (I'm headed over there next to update it a bit) IE7 may add a section for itself to this also - so, what the heck, check them all!

2) Run SFC.EXE /SCANNOW from the Command Prompt (here's another HowTo: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/

3) If this still doesn't fix it, you may want to consider a repair install of XP (which will leave your programs and files intact): http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Merlin66

Merlin66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:02 PM

It seems to depend upon where csrss is located, whether or not it is a needed Windows process or malware. The location for the legitimate process is:
C:\Windows\System32 folder. Even with "high priority" the consumption seems high.
Regards,
John

I know about the csrss virus and did a check before I posted here. There are 3 copies of csrss.exe in the Windows folder. One is in the one you mentioned; the other two are in ServicePack Install and UnInstall directories

#5 Merlin66

Merlin66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:23 PM

If it's not the virus - then it appears that you have a problem with your Windows system files (although it could also be with Office/Excel)

1) Check your Event Viewer for error messages around this time. Here's a link to a HowTo: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

It was written with BSOD error in mind. To apply it to your situation, I'd suggest concentrating on the errors in the Application section (but still check the System and Security subsections just to be sure). You don't have to look for the particular STOP error messages there (I'm headed over there next to update it a bit) IE7 may add a section for itself to this also - so, what the heck, check them all!

I had previously done a quick check of the event viewer, but redid it right after running one of the problem Excel applications. There were no errors related to that application in any of the event viewer areas.

2) Run SFC.EXE /SCANNOW from the Command Prompt (here's another HowTo: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/

if nothing else comes out of this thread, the SFC.exe tool is useful. I ran SFC.exe; it did not find anything wrong.

3) If this still doesn't fix it, you may want to consider a repair install of XP (which will leave your programs and files intact): http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

I will try this next.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 01 November 2006 - 08:01 AM

The repair install is sort of a "catch all". It replaces all of the Windows system files (not just the protected ones - as SFC.EXE does).

It's preferable to the old "format and reinstall" method because it preserves your programs and data. But it's still a PITA because it takes so durned long.

I'd suggest looking into a disk imaging utility once the system is repaired. With a good image you can reload your system (to the point where the image was made) within 20 minutes. With some creative tinkering of the system you can also have it point to data stores on other drives - so when you reinstall the image it will automatically point to your saved data.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users