Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

7950 Gx2 - Which Is Better And Why?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 29 October 2006 - 08:04 PM

:thumbsup: Howdy all,

Just looking at upgrading to a GX2 soon. Haven't decided upon a MoBo or CPU yet, but will likely be Core 2 Duo, whatever one it is.

Question is, which of the GX2 is better and why? Why is the ASUS GX2 $AU1200, and the Gigabyte GX2 only $AU850??? They are the same card, so what is the difference? :flowers:

Cheers
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 29 October 2006 - 10:44 PM

Well from what I know. nVidia just makes the core. It's up to the manufactuers to design the board, memory and heat solution.

One company may mass produce them more, or one may be made more cheaply.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#3 Detox

Detox

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 29 October 2006 - 11:46 PM

I believe eVga is the best and most popular of them all. One of the reasons is that their warranty policy covers overclocking, which is a plus for many enthusiasts.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:15 AM

Just FYI - the decision on a chipset will affect your decisions here. In general, the Intel 975x chipset will support ATI Crossfire (SLI), while you'll need a nForce chipset (590 or 680i) to support the nVidia version of SLI.

This says to me that the chipsets were designed with a specific vid card in mind - so I'd expect to see better integration of the Intel chipsets with ATI cards and better integration of the nForce chipset with nVidia cards.

Also, beware of buying a mobo for Core 2 Duo without investigating it's ability to support the chip you intend to buy. There's lot's of 775 socket boards out there that won't support the Core 2 Duo (even though it will fit the socket).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 31 October 2006 - 12:04 AM

Just FYI - the decision on a chipset will affect your decisions here. In general, the Intel 975x chipset will support ATI Crossfire (SLI), while you'll need a nForce chipset (590 or 680i) to support the nVidia version of SLI.

This says to me that the chipsets were designed with a specific vid card in mind - so I'd expect to see better integration of the Intel chipsets with ATI cards and better integration of the nForce chipset with nVidia cards.

Also, beware of buying a mobo for Core 2 Duo without investigating it's ability to support the chip you intend to buy. There's lot's of 775 socket boards out there that won't support the Core 2 Duo (even though it will fit the socket).

I have to disagree. The 975X has been proven to run SLi. Don't believe me? Look it up. I knew a guy personally who was running a modified BIOS to make his 975X chip mobo run SLi.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:04 AM

... The 975x has been proven to run SLI ...

I believe I addressed that in this sentence:

... the Intel 975x chipset will support ATI Crossfire (SLI) ...

That paragraph addressed decision making for chipsets that "support" the different versions of SLI. No modified BIOS is needed to support SLI on the current 975x chipset (and using a modified BIOS will ensure that you don't get "support" from the manufacturer).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:04 AM

Crud! Duplicate of previous post was here.

Edited by usasma, 31 October 2006 - 10:05 AM.

#8 JPHarvey

JPHarvey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2006 - 03:50 PM

Okay, you two stop fighting. This is MY topic!! lol.

Nah, I realise about the Core 2 Duo - I'll be getting a suitable MoBo. With the GX2- I take it that also it is multi-GPU on a single card it is still considered to be SLI?

Oh, usasma - I think SLI is nVidia, and Crossfire is ATI. You had ATI Crossfire (SLI). Just checking that's what you meant....

Edited by JPHarvey, 01 November 2006 - 03:52 PM.

[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2006 - 08:31 AM

Well, I learn something new every day!

It turns out that SLI isn't a generic term for using more than one video card on a system (which I had assumed that it was) - but rather it's nVidia's implementation of this concept. And, ATI has implemented it differently with the Crossfire. Two separate technologies with basically the same result.

So, what's the term for this? And, as JPHarvey asks, does multiple GPU's on one card make it SLI/Crossfire?

#10 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 02 November 2006 - 09:13 AM

Just to make sure things get confusing enough I should point out that there are two different multi-GPU technologies with the abbreviation SLI. There is Scalable Link Interface, which is nVIDIA's multi-GPU technology and then there was Scan-Line Interleave, which was 3dfx's multi-GPU technology.

As to whether multiple GPUs on a card can be considered SLI is the wrong question. SLI is a technology which is either used or not used, it is not up for discussion. For example the GV-3D1-68GT and the N7800GT Dual used the SLI technology, as well as both GX2s.

The 7950GX2 doesn't need a SLI motherboard, but there were some issues on certain motherboards about the BIOS not being able to recognize a graphics adapter behind an PCIe bridge.

Oh, and you might want to remember that there are two different GX2s, the 7900GX2 and the 7950GX2. The 7950GX2 is the one you want.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#11 JPHarvey

JPHarvey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2006 - 05:17 PM

Yeah definitely. I have been reading the reviews about the 7950GX2. DEFINITELY the one I want!

So that gets me back to my original question (specifically related to the 7950GX2) - why is one brand more expensive than another? I see Detox pipes for the eVGA, but I haven't seen one out here in Australia yet... I will look harder maybe...

Edited by JPHarvey, 02 November 2006 - 05:19 PM.

[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#12 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2006 - 02:01 AM

Yeah definitely. I have been reading the reviews about the 7950GX2. DEFINITELY the one I want!

So that gets me back to my original question (specifically related to the 7950GX2) - why is one brand more expensive than another? I see Detox pipes for the eVGA, but I haven't seen one out here in Australia yet... I will look harder maybe...

The manufactuers makes the board, memory, heat solution, ect. That's probably the main reasons, some may charge more because they offer better warrentys as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users