Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Years Resolutions

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 20 December 2004 - 05:29 PM

Will you have any New Years Resolutions? I have a few, and will likely add more as the days draw closer.

STOP SMOKING Yes, I know it is a very bad habit. I have been doing it for over 15 years~nearly half my life. I have tried this one every year for the last 5 years, and the longest I have held out was April. Not to make an excuse, but my wife also smokes, so it is more difficult because of it.

10% increase in income We all would like more money, and there should not be a reason why this is not possible.

Finish paying off car early Want to pay car off 8 months early, with would be before the end of next year.

Pay off all credit cards They are nice to have, but can be dangerous. Personally, I just want to finish paying off the debt.

Share some of yours with the members. Who knows, maybe we can help each other out.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nmdamgud

nmdamgud

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 20 December 2004 - 08:16 PM

since i was also thinking about starting a thread about new year's resolutions, it's just further proof that great minds think alike!!

my new year's resolution is to have a CHILD FREE HOME before june. my kids (still at home) are 22 and 20...plenty old enough to be on their own!

i wouldn't mind so much having them...i love them dearly...but they BOTH...along with the 22 year olds fiance, seem to think that mom has nothing better to do than feed them, clean up after them, and in general, do maid service. i object. it is time for them ALL to join the real world.

additionally, hubby and i have been married for 25 years...and our eldest came along not quite 6 months after we were married (GASP!!), and we didn't live together before that, either...therefore, we feel we are entitled to time alone, at long last!! our eldest has been married and out of the house for 2 1/2 years.

other than that, i, too, would like to quit smoking...however, hubby will go right along with it. he wants to quit, too...we're hoping it will be just a bit easier w/o the stress of the kids!

that's about it..

merry CHRISTmas, all!!

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 20 December 2004 - 11:01 PM

Try nicoret the new minty gum. I hope you beat smoking I have family who does it....

Never made sense to me why people start? It kills smells bad im sure you know about that.

I hope you beat it im rootin for ya!

Mine are to learn more about pc's and HTML....

I also plan on building my first pc! AMD64 here I come!

Um.....

Maybe be more productive and yes earn more money. Maybe by building my own coustom pcs?

#4 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2004 - 11:40 PM

I quit smoking Jan 12th, 2004. Whew! Yippee!
I feel for you smokers who want to quit. I have done it and there's no doubt in my mind y'all can do it, too. Good luck! I'm rooting for ya!!!

My New Year's resolution....

1. I would like to be in better shape. That's my priority for 2005.
2. Pay off credit cards.
3. Finally make the HJT team!
4. Relax, reflect, appreciate, love, and absorb more than ever before.

God Bless The USA and Merry Christmas, etc...

~67~

#5 nmdamgud

nmdamgud

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2004 - 03:54 AM

as the new year draws even closer, i thought i'd bump this up front, to see who ELSE would like to post their ny resolutions here...for fun, for documentation, or just for support. i'm hoping we can get a group or two together...to help each other..as in a "stop smoking in '05" support group, for starters. we all know misery loves company!!! :thumbsup:

so tell us, boys and girls: what're YOUR resolutions for 2005???

#6 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2004 - 11:16 AM

I also want to be on the HJT team after a year of study almost.........July to july......

I want to have 20 more Tutorials on my site...........

Thats it for now

#7 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2004 - 11:20 AM

LOL Y'all.. I resolve not to make resolutions I do not have the will power to keep tehe.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#8 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2004 - 11:48 AM

LOL Y'all.. I resolve not to make resolutions I do not have the will power to keep tehe.

:trumpet: Pandy I second that emotion. :inlove: Why make them to not keep them.

When all I accomplish is adding more guilt and stress to my life that I do not need. :flowers:

Good luck to those of you who manage this feat though. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#9 Notorious

Notorious

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2004 - 11:57 AM

You took the words right out of my mouth... :thumbsup: :P

1. I don't want to stop smoking
2. I don't want to stop drinking
3. I don't want to stop looking at pretty woman :flowers: :trumpet:
4. I don't want to stop fast driving
5. I don't want to be in better shape because if I was, I'd have to do more about house... :cool:
Hell... I just realize it's a resolution... :inlove: :)
Posted Image

Down in the bayou, Bubba called an attorney and asked, "Is it true they're suin' the cigarette companies for causing people to get cancer?
"Sure is Bubba. But why you asking?"
"Cause what I want to know is, I was thinking, can I sue Budweiser for all them ugly women I've slept with?"

#10 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2004 - 12:03 PM

Y'all are just too funny. Your resolution is to not have any, tehe.
I stick to mine if and when I make them.
I just figured 2 things. A - posting them publicly provides more incentive and B - the group thing might be really nice.

So, once some more post theirs, we could PM a person or two who are looking to quit or start to do the same thing(s) we are.

And if your resolution is to not have any ( :flowers: ), I think that's great too. I volunteer all of you to be our cheerleaders, for additional moral support. :thumbsup:

~67~

#11 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2004 - 12:10 PM

I would actually love to resolve many things.. quit smoking.. lose weight.. but I always get so down on myself when I fail and I feel just HORRIBLE about myself. So I resolved a long time ago not to set myself up for failure. Like JE~ said above.. not to make excuses.. but hubby smokes too and it will be hard to do if he doesn't quit too. But I will be happy to cheer on anyone who needs cheering.. and who knows.. maybe I would jump on the bandwagon once it gets rolling LMAO :thumbsup:

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#12 Notorious

Notorious

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2004 - 12:17 PM

I volunteer all of you to be our cheerleaders, for additional moral support.  :flowers:

*Looking for his cheerleader skirt..* You sure you'd like to see me like this? :trumpet: :thumbsup: :inlove:
Posted Image

Down in the bayou, Bubba called an attorney and asked, "Is it true they're suin' the cigarette companies for causing people to get cancer?
"Sure is Bubba. But why you asking?"
"Cause what I want to know is, I was thinking, can I sue Budweiser for all them ugly women I've slept with?"

#13 BSAC

BSAC

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2004 - 12:35 PM

I quit smoking 8 years ago (nearly, anyway). This year I would like to get back into shape and become better organized with my time.

Be Strong And Courageous at attempting to stop smoking!

Jos 1:9 "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."

That's how I did it!

Kevin
Be Strong And Courageous!

Kevin

#14 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2004 - 01:01 PM

BSAC - Congrats! That's wonderful!

Notorious - ABSOLUTELY!!! :thumbsup: I'll take a pic of that anyday, lol.

Pandy - I am so sorry hon, I know what ya mean. BTDT myself. It sure isn't easy. Trust me, I do know. I quit and hubby still smokes. But after the first couple of months, it got easier. I just resolved myself to stick with it, regardless of how tough it got (the cravings) and as stressed as I've been (beyond belief) smoking is the LAST thing I'd ever do again. I'm not saying it is easy to even type this. I am not special by any means so when I say I can do it, I really believe y'all can too. If you want to. I think what did it for me was this:
I started realizing that everytime the kids came home from school (often with friends) or from just being outside, they'd comment on the smell of smoke in the house. It seems I had a cigarette in my hand or mouth all the time. Then I heard one of their friends say, "Gosh, your mom smokes more than my dad does." That started the ball rolling for me.
The first time I quit is because when my kids were quite young in elementary school, they came home one day and said "my teacher said you take drugs" and I thought 'omg, what the heck'? Yada, yada, but what happened was the teacher was explaining that smoking and cigarettes were drugs. Although at the time, a happy devout smoker that was me, I didn't believe it or buy into the hype, it did bother me though that my kids might repeat that somewhere else. I quit for 2 1/2 yrs.
I apologize for the lecture but I guess it's just something we have to find in ourselves. Something that gives us the power, the strength, and the courage like BSAC said. But, I did things in the wrong order. I should have become anorexic first before quitting smoking because now I have to lose the extra weight I put on. Not a great tradeoff. I say that half joking. Please don't think I take that disease lightly, I don't. Anyway, those who know me understand me, lol.

I wish you all tremendous luck. Whoever wants or needs to drop a few pounds, however few, or just wants to get into better shape, let me know. Let's work on that together.

~67~

#15 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2004 - 01:13 PM

Of course you are right TexasAngel.. My mom quit.. completely cold turkey.. so I am thinking that if I wanted to make her happy I would be thrilled to tell her I quit.. and my mom's boyfriend's grandaughter asks me every time she sees me if I am still smoking.. and she is all of seven years old LMAO.. Yes.. I understand what you are saying to me.. I will think about it. I do admit to being sooo tired all of the time..

BSAC.. that is what your member name means? Be Strong And Courageous.. That is very inspiring.. truly it is. Thank you for sharing.

Edited by Pandy, 29 December 2004 - 01:14 PM.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users