Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Driver Driver For Xp

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 polaris6

polaris6

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 29 October 2006 - 07:02 PM

I have an unusual problem...don't we all. I have XP installed on a laptop (IBM Thinkpad x20), with SP2 installed (Professional), 30 GB HD space and about 384 MB RAM. La[top is 'clean'.

I have several WD USB Drives (2 40 GB and 1 80 GB). Each of these work well on my other laptop (Dell) and desktop. However, they don't seem to work on the Thinkpad....partially. The 'stick memory' devices work fine on the Thinkpad.

Here's the issue. When I plug in the USB Drive, there is 'recognition' of this drive but I get a 'Code 10' error. Troubleshooting leaves me with the message that the driver is not installed. I get this message for one of the 40 GB drive and the 80 GB drive. However, one of the 40 GB drives registers well with the Thinkpad. The two 40 GB drives are identical in models (Western Digital). The 80 GB drive is also a Western Digital. Each of the drives are the 'Passport Portable' models.

Can I get some help here and/or guidance? I am baffled. Thanks.

polaris6

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2006 - 09:19 AM

I'm not real sure about this - but this has helped with my SanDisk thumb drives (both steps were required to completely fix it) I have not done this on any U3 enabled devices (I strip that off the thumb drive the first time that I insert it).

1) Remove all USB devices from the system. Then, open up Device Manager (Start...Run...type "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. In the menus at the top, select View, and then check "Show hidden devices".

Then, expand each tree and right click to uninstall the instances of stuff that's not connected (shown in a lighter shade of gray). Be careful not to uninstall things like meeces (plural of mouse :thumbsup: and other non-storage devices. Of particular concern to me was all of the disk volumes that the USB drives had mounted.

Then, download new drivers for each of the devices from the manufacturer's website and install them according to the directions.

2) If this still doesn't solve the problem - copy the contents to your desktop or another drive - and then format the drive at the default values. Then move the stuff back to the drive and all should be well.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2006 - 09:33 AM

Thanks. That is good advice.

Some additional information: I now have two of the USB Drives working on the laptop; both are formatted FAT32. I switched power cables on the one that was not working and now it works. However, the 40 GB WD Passport Portable Drive does not work in the one laptop, but does work on the other laptop and desktop. The only thing different about this drive is that it is formatted NTFS. Would that have some effect on the performance? If so, how might I change that....reformat it back to the FAT32 that came with the unit?

Thanks.

polaris6

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2006 - 09:49 AM

Recently there's been a lot of USB drive problems posted on online forums. I suspect that there was a change to Windows (involving one of the Microsoft Updates) that has caused this behavior - but I haven't been able to locate it.

With my thumb drives it was the format that fixed them. They actually stopped letting me copy certain file types to them (pretty annoying since this particular drive houses my troubleshooting tools).

I swear by the NTFS file system - but it does have it's quirks. Very, very generally - NTFS is more efficient than FAT32. But I don't think that the difference is noticeable to the average user.

That being said, I think that a format (of any sort) will help to restore the drive - but I'd go with FAT32 just to be safe. To do this, you'll have to move all the data off of it - then perform a complete format (not the Quick one) by right clicking on the drive and selecting "Format".
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2006 - 10:30 AM

Thanks John. I will try that this afternoon and get back to you.

BTW, I met Ray Charles in the Shreveport, La Airport many years ago. I funny story that I can relay to you off line.

Thanks.

polaris6

#6 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:06 AM

John:

How do I format the drive in the FAT32 format? When I try to format the drive, the only option I have is NTFS?

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:57 AM

Strange - there should be a dropdown box that will allow you to format in FAT32.

Can you try a Windows ME boot disk (I think it'll recognize USB drives) and see if you can format with that?

#8 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2006 - 02:30 PM

I don't have a Win ME disk. I 'had' 98II, and 2000, but not any more.

Anyway, I reformatted the drive in NTFS (because that was the only option I had) and nothing changed. The laptop still didn't recognize the drive when I plugged it in.

#9 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2006 - 04:09 PM

I just d/l the FAT32 Utility from WD and installed it on my desktop and formatted the WD USB HD and tried to read it again on the 'problem' laptop with no luck.

I also d/l the Win 98 SEII USB Driver utlity and installed it on one of my older computers with Win 98 OS and I tried to read the USB HD and it worked! What is is about this one laptop that will not read that one USB HD?

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 30 October 2006 - 05:11 PM

It may not have enough power in the USB hub to power the drive.

Try updating the usb hub drivers (and the usb controllers)

#11 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2006 - 05:15 PM

Thanks...

I don't want to appear stupid, but how do I update the USB hub drivers? Would this explain why I can read/recognize a 80 GB USB Drive on that laptop and not a 40 GB Drive (from the same manufacturer)?

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2006 - 06:26 AM

The USB drivers are usually included in the motherboard/chipset drivers for the system. Just go to the Thinkpad website and check for updated drivers.

Different firmware revisions on the drives may make them access or read differently - so it's entirely possible that this is the case with your system. On most drives there are several revisions of the firmware available.

I suspect that the problem here is in the cabling. IMO it's most likely that the cabling for the 40 gB drive is "borderline" for the job it's up to. Then, if we suppose that the USB port on the Thinkpad is also "borderline" - then we get a scenario that is more plausible. (2 borderlines = no function).

By cabling, I'm not just referring to the physical cable, but to then entire electrical path that the signal takes from one device to another. But, for all intents and purposes - you can only fix the physical cable, so this may be the route to go.

#13 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2006 - 07:37 PM

I d/l the updated drivers from the Thinkpad website and there was/has been no change in performance/recognition of the 'problem' drive.

#14 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 02 November 2006 - 08:58 PM

Try using the physical cable from the drive that works on the drive that does not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users