Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox 2 - Automatically Downloads Links

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kickehy

kickehy

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 29 October 2006 - 03:31 PM

I heard from a friend that firefox 2 automatically downloads all the links on the page you visit because you might click on them. I would assume that, if this is true, it's an option in the about:config part, but I haven't been able to find proof of this. I was wondering if anyone else had heard this. My main concern for this is because if this is true, then the network I'm on would lose considerable bandwidth from all the caching. Also, I read an article that stated that you could reduce the amount of memory firefox takes by setting an option in the about:config, but I again can't find this and, if true, what could you set it to in order to reduce memory usage but still have a nice functioning firefox?

Thanks all,
Kickehy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kev25v6

kev25v6

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 29 October 2006 - 04:20 PM

I think the 'download all links' is an add-on option you can download from mozilla home page not something that comes pre-set into ff2, you could set it up on ff 1.5.

#3 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 29 October 2006 - 08:51 PM

Hay there
I believe your thinking of "prefetching" it's been used for a while in Fx
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Network.prefetch-next
you can turn it off from "about:config" .
It may not be working in 2.0 right now

Edited by no one, 29 October 2006 - 08:59 PM.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#4 kickehy

kickehy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2006 - 10:38 PM

Yeah that was it....and it is enabled by default for FF2. Kind of silly if you ask me, I can understand enabling it if you need to, but since it's default, it'll suck a little bandwidth.

Anything on the memory usage option anyone?

#5 kickehy

kickehy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2006 - 10:49 PM

Well I just found the memory tweak. Firefox loves to hog memory, at least on Windows machines, I'm not to sure about Linux/Unix machines. But for windows machines...you can edit the http://kb.mozillazine.org/Config.trim_on_minimize entry.

Actually, after looking.....hehe.....that's not even an option :/ sorry guys

Here's a useful site for tweaks. http://www.lifehacker.com/software/firefox...eaks-209941.php

Edited by kickehy, 29 October 2006 - 11:00 PM.

#6 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:43 AM

Also..
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Memory_Leak

most smaller sites are not too keen on prefetching because of the add cost of bandwith that may or may not have been "used", as in if you prefetch a half dozen links and only use 2 , 4 links worth of bandwith is wasted, if it's just you, no big deal , if it's a couple million it adds up rather fast, slowing everyone down. I'd say prefetching had it place when everyone was on dialup,(if you're stuck with it, it might help a little) if you use broadband and have a newer box hooked up to it, it really isin't need and free's up that bandwith for those who do need it. also, every prefetch request carries a referer header to tell the link site you want to talk to it ,thus possibly triggering an attack from a possible "bad" link that may have been inserted by someone with less than honorable intensions. (just because you're paranoid doesn't mean people aint out to get ya' :thumbsup:)
this links expands abit on what I just said
http://ifelse.co.uk/archives/2005/07/14/pe...of-prefetching/

(and yes, I have prefetching turned off )

Edited by no one, 30 October 2006 - 12:25 PM.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users