Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 adkron

adkron

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 29 October 2006 - 02:55 PM

Hi,

I want to upgrade my Compaq Presario 6410 NX computer. It currently has the following:
Processor: AMD Athlon XP2000+ 1.67 GHz
Frontside Bus Speed: 200/266 MHz
Processor Architecture: PGA462 Socket A
Chipset: Via KM266 8235

Can I put an AMD 64 2 3800+ processor in this computer? If I can will I have to modify the fan to accommodate more heat?

Thanks,

adkron

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 29 October 2006 - 04:35 PM

Not sure what socket your motherboard is. But I suspect the Socket A.

My internet explorer isn't working properly, so you'll have to put in the link manually http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpu-z-137.zip Run that program and near the top tell me what socket it says. It's a very simple processor/memory diagnostic.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#3 adkron

adkron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2006 - 04:44 PM

Hi protozero,

Thanks for you help. I canít do the upgrade. In the mean time I am saving my pennies and adding RAM to my 6410NX as I wait for core 2 processor computers to come down some in price.

Thanks again,

adkron

#4 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2006 - 04:47 PM

I wouldn't put to much RAM in that, as when you decide to upgrade, that SD-RAM will be of no use to you are newer chips such as the Core 2 and Socket AM2 use DDR2.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#5 adkron

adkron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2006 - 05:06 PM

Hi protozero,

I am not adding much. I only have 256 MB and am going to 512. I am running Windows XP and have been told 5212 is a minimum for that. The upgrade is costing le22 than $70.00 for two identical 256 chips from Corsair. Itís worth a try.

Thanks again,

adkron

Edited by adkron, 29 October 2006 - 05:31 PM.

#6 adkron

adkron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2006 - 02:57 PM

I wouldn't put to much RAM in that, as when you decide to upgrade, that SD-RAM will be of no use to you are newer chips such as the Core 2 and Socket AM2 use DDR2.

Hi Protozero,

When I pulled off my computer cover I saw I only had two RAM slots (I thought I had three). I took out the old Smart Modular RAM (256MB) that came with the computer and put in the 2-256MB Corsair Value Select RAM chips.

I can't believe the difference. My computer is running faster than ever and is faster than I thought it would be, what a terrific surprise.

Thanks for your help,

adkron

Edited by adkron, 06 November 2006 - 02:58 PM.

#7 adkron

adkron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2006 - 09:49 PM

Hi,

It was too good to be true.

I thought my problems were over after installing and upgrading my RAM. However after installing it (my computer runs much faster but no longer will boot if I have my flash card plugged into my USD plug. If I unplug it will boot. I than plug in my flash card and go to device manager. I click USB Mass Storage ht Device and get the message ďPlease wait while the wizard searchesÖĒ I takes a while but it finds Removable Disk (F) and it shows up on my control panel. I click it and the hour glass shows up and after itís gone I never see the contents of the flash drive. I than right click USB Root Hub let click Properties and get the message, ďThis device is working properly,Ē but it is not.

Can anyone tell me how to get my USP ports to work again?

Click http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?show...=128211&hl= to see upgrade specifics.

Thanks,

adkron

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2006 - 03:28 PM

Run this free memory tester on the memory - try each stick individually if you get errors when running it on both (read the directions carefully): http://www.memtest86.com/

If the memory turns out good, then try updating your motherboard/chipset drivers to fix the USB issue. I couldn't find any chipset drivers on the Compaq page, but I suspect that you're using the VIA chipset.

Also, there was a BIOS update published there also - you may want to see if it applies to this specific problem.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 adkron

adkron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2006 - 05:32 PM

Run this free memory tester on the memory - try each stick individually if you get errors when running it on both (read the directions carefully): http://www.memtest86.com/

If the memory turns out good, then try updating your motherboard/chipset drivers to fix the USB issue. I couldn't find any chipset drivers on the Compaq page, but I suspect that you're using the VIA chipset.

Also, there was a BIOS update published there also - you may want to see if it applies to this specific problem.

Hi USAMA,

Thanks for your help. I have a bunch to do to check "these things" out. I have been able to fix part of the problem. I have an explanation below.

As a side bar I saw that your username is an abbreviation for U.S. Army Sergeants Major Academy. From this I assume you are an Army Vet. I am also but I only served three years on active duty. I was a grunt (Senior Rifleman) a long time ago and appreciate all those that serve our country. Itís our Troops that keep us free.

I stopped my computer from hibernating and my USB ports started working again. I suspected something was wrong with the ports when my computer would not boot with anything plugged into any one of my four ports but would boot if I left them empty. I still have problems when my my Canon PIXMA MP830 Printer is plugged in. My computer still will not boot with it plugged into a USB port. I turn the printer off and the computer will boot. I than turn the printer on and it will print. It may be something the printer is doing. I am going to ask Canon support for help here.

Iíll let you know how I make out after running your recommendations.

Thanks you all for your help,

adkron

Edited by adkron, 08 November 2006 - 06:07 PM.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2006 - 11:40 AM

I was a 12B (now a 21B) Combat Engineer. Did my share of slogging around the boonies in my day. Heck, some of my best friends were Infantry - and I didn't hold it against them! :thumbsup: I spent a lot of time at Ft. Bragg (I'm a Master Blaster :flowers: and in Germany. I was in from 1984 until 2003.

Hibernation is closely tied to your video drivers. So, I'd check to see if you can update them.

Then, with the proliferation of USB printers (and the problems associated with them) I'd also suggest that you update the printer drivers also. While I don't have much experience with the Canon printers - I have seen similar problems with HP and LexMark's.

Finally, if you've got the time, I'd further suggest that you remove the old drivers before installing the new one's. This will (for the most part) eliminate any erroneous settings that may be stored in the drivers. The only surer way to get rid of all traces involves a lot of registry and hard drive "diving" to find and eliminate those traces.

Edited by usasma, 09 November 2006 - 11:44 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 adkron

adkron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2006 - 04:51 PM

I was a 12B (now a 21B) Combat Engineer. Did my share of slogging around the boonies in my day. Heck, some of my best friends were Infantry - and I didn't hold it against them! :thumbsup: I spent a lot of time at Ft. Bragg (I'm a Master Blaster :flowers: and in Germany. I was in from 1984 until 2003.

Hibernation is closely tied to your video drivers. So, I'd check to see if you can update them.

Then, with the proliferation of USB printers (and the problems associated with them) I'd also suggest that you update the printer drivers also. While I don't have much experience with the Canon printers - I have seen similar problems with HP and LexMark's.

Finally, if you've got the time, I'd further suggest that you remove the old drivers before installing the new one's. This will (for the most part) eliminate any erroneous settings that may be stored in the drivers. The only surer way to get rid of all traces involves a lot of registry and hard drive "diving" to find and eliminate those traces.

Hi,

I spent six months at Fort Bragg before being sent to the 25th Infantry Division.

I contacted Canon Support and they said to try this.

To turn off USB legacy support for a Dell computer and most computer systems, please perform the following steps (note: the screens and locations may vary based upon your BIOS):
1. Re-boot the computer.

2. Press the <F2> key to enter the System Setup (BIOS).
3. Press the <Down Arrow> key until Integrated Devices is highlighted then press <Enter>. Another window appears.
4. Press the <Down Arrow> key until USB Emulation is highlighted.
5. Press the <+> key to change the value to OFF.
6. Press the <Esc> key to leave to this window.
7. Press the <Esc> key to exit the System Setup.
8. The message Do You Want to Save Changes And Exit appears.
9. Press the <Enter> key or Yes. The system will re-boot.

We hope this information is helpful to you. Please feel free to contact us again if you have any other questions or concerns.

I will let you know how that works. I am not familiar with how to delete drivers and am afraid if I start doing so I will delete something I really need.

I'll let you know how it turns out and I will stay with this thread.

Thanks,

adkron

#12 adkron

adkron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2006 - 06:06 PM

Hi,

I spent six months at Fort Bragg before being sent to the 25th Infantry Division.

I contacted Canon Support and they said to try this.

To turn off USB legacy support for a Dell computer and most computer systems, please perform the following steps (note: the screens and locations may vary based upon your BIOS):
1. Re-boot the computer.

2. Press the <F2> key to enter the System Setup (BIOS).
3. Press the <Down Arrow> key until Integrated Devices is highlighted then press <Enter>. Another window appears.
4. Press the <Down Arrow> key until USB Emulation is highlighted.
5. Press the <+> key to change the value to OFF.
6. Press the <Esc> key to leave to this window.
7. Press the <Esc> key to exit the System Setup.
8. The message Do You Want to Save Changes And Exit appears.
9. Press the <Enter> key or Yes. The system will re-boot.

We hope this information is helpful to you. Please feel free to contact us again if you have any other questions or concerns.

I will let you know how that works. I am not familiar with how to delete drivers and am afraid if I start doing so I will delete something I really need.

I'll let you know how it turns out and I will stay with this thread.

Thanks,

adkron

Hi,

Canonís support recommendations did not work. Below is the response I sent to themĒ

ďHi Canon Support:

I have tried my four USP Ports and all have the same results. My computer will not boot with the MULTIpass plugged in.

To get to bios setup on my computer I have to hit F1 on startup. I do so, than I have to click and Advanced Tab to get to a menu that gives me an Integrated Peripherals option (Not Integrated Devices). I click it and there is no USP option to click. However under the previous screen (i.e. advanced tab option) there is a USB Legacy Mode Support option. I click it and see:
Auto [x]
Enable [ ]
Disable [ ]

I changed the settings to Enable and rebooted with no improvement. I changed the settings to Disable and no improvement. So I am again stuck.

I have also been to a Forum that offers PC help and it was recommended that I change my drivers but I donít know how to do this.

Can you help me with my problem?

Thanks for you help,

Ron

P.S. I live in a remote area of upper NY State and DSL is not available. Therefore I have a very slow dial up connection which makes being on-line and the phone at the same time impossible. So I am using e-mail to try and resolve this. I will call your support by phone if you still think I should do so.Ē

Thatís where I am now. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

adkron

#13 adkron

adkron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2006 - 06:24 PM

Hi USAMA,

I went to url=http://www.memtest86.com/ and downloaded both Memtest86.32 Release and Memtest86.31aRelease. I clicked unzip and my winzip kicked in and said my evaluation period was over and I could not unzip the files. So I canít use the download.

Thanks,

adkron

#14 adkron

adkron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2006 - 02:20 PM

Hi,

I have received help from hp Support. By phone a couple of months ago hp Support told me to contact Canon about my problem. That it was my new printerís fault. Today by e-mail a hp Support person said it was a BIOS problem and I had to reset the BIOS. They told me how to do so and it fixed the problem. My computer now boots with my printer plugged in.

Thank you all for taking the time to help me,

Ron

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2006 - 09:21 PM

I'm glad that you were able to get it fixed!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users