Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some Files Open Slow (related To Networking)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 loginn

loginn

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 29 October 2006 - 02:39 PM

I have this problem since the computer is connected to internet via Linksys router. When I click on .txt file, image or archive (also probably other types), it would take bettween 1 and 2 minutes to open them. When I right-click on same types to open context menu, it costs me the same long waiting. When I want to create a new file, the same. At the same time I can open run executables, open browsers and open other types in a split second. Memory and CPU usage are not going above the normal during that time of delayed response. All the above problems would disappear when I unplug the network cable or just disable the connection. There is one more computer connected to the same router without such problems. I'm pretty sure it's not a virus, malware etc. It should be a network problem but I don't know how to solve it.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 31 October 2006 - 11:57 AM

Never assume you're not infected - always check it because new "baddies" come out all the time. Here's a nice, free, online scan for double checking: http://safety.live.com/

It'll also clean your registry, empty your Temp files, defrag your hard drive - and may even look under the hood and check your oil! (Well, OK, I lied about the last part! :thumbsup:

Next, disable the current network connection (on the computer) and then create a new one. Does the problem still exist? Then, run the Network setup wizard to ensure that you've got the correct settings.

If this doesn't fix it - then we've gotta try other things. For example, you could try another browser (such as the free Firefox) To see if it's a browser problem.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 loginn

loginn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 01 November 2006 - 12:50 AM

Hi usasma
All these I did before writing to the forum. As for browser, I use IE, Firefox and Opera. But the problems are not browser related.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2006 - 10:39 AM

Crud! This is a poser for sure! I'm really starting to reach now, here's some suggestions:

Have you tried uninstalling the drivers for your network card, then removing the card. Then reinsert the card and manually install the drivers?

Have you updated your motherboard/chipset drivers?

Have you tried a repair installation of Windows? http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Have you tried to format your hard drive and reinstall Windows?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 01 November 2006 - 10:51 AM

Sure sounds like you have newdotnet hijacking your internet connection get LSPfix, and see how many files are in the TCPIP stack.

Here http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

normally windows only uses three files.

also if you have internet exploder set to automatically detect a proxy connection can cause this (regardless of your primary web browser.

(tools > internet settings > connections > lan)
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#6 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 03 November 2006 - 06:08 AM

I know this sounds like a long shot but have you got a cd in the disk drive. Check that the CD Drive has the correct drivers.

Basically I have seen this before in taking time to access files on the machine but with all other services working fine. This for my instance was all down to corupt drivers for the CD-Drive. It was basically failing to build the drive information and took ages to open anything.

This could be a HDD error try running a program called HDTune and see if that notices any issues.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2006 - 10:47 AM

Could also be that the system is searching for network drives/resources that no longer exist. Maybe even a disconnected peripheral (I just found ton's of stuff when I enabled "Show hidden devices" in Device Manager)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users