Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ps2 Port Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 fm20007

fm20007

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 29 October 2006 - 12:31 PM

My 2 ps2 ports are not working. I am getting no response from either mouse or keyboard, not even at the screen to get into the cmos settings. The thing is the mouse and keyboard works fine on another pc. I was wondering what could have caused this problem.

I hooked up my cellphone with it's data cable to the front usb ports (the wiring for these ports were connected properly because I've used my flash drive before) and I got a message saying, "Power Surge on Hub Port", the screen started to blink and the pc froze and I had to restart. Upon entry into windows I got no response from mouse or keyboard. Could the ps2 ports have gone bad due to this? I am still able to get into windows and everything works with a serial mouse.

By the way my cellphone still works and I have an msi 865pe neo2-v motherboard with a 2.13ghz celeron processor and I am using Windows xp.

Any help appreciated.

Edited by fm20007, 29 October 2006 - 12:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 30 October 2006 - 10:41 AM

A power surge can fry anything inside your case. Some devices are more resistant to them, but they can all die if enough electricity is put into them.

I'd suggest disconnecting and disabling everything that you can lay your hands on and trying to boot up with a minimal configuration.

Here's what I'd leave on the system:
Case
PSU
CPU, cooler and fan
1 stick of RAM (test with this to see if it's good: http://www.memtest86.com/ )
Video card
monitor
keyboard
floppy drive or CD drive (not both)

Disable any onboard devices (like the USB ports) when you first boot.

Try and boot from a DOS floppy. If it works, then add the mouse and try again. If that works, then add the hard drive and try again. If that works, then start trying to get Windows to load.

Once Windows is up, use this free utility to check the SMART status of your hard drive: http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Let us know how this works and we'll proceed from there.

Edited by usasma, 30 October 2006 - 10:43 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 fm20007

fm20007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 30 October 2006 - 12:16 PM

Thanks I tried all that already, but the thing is I can't even get into the cmos settings to change anything beacause of the ps2 ports and I now realised that none of the usb ports work. I can get into windows with the serial mouse. It looks like I might just change the motherboard or add a usb adapter card.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 31 October 2006 - 09:22 AM

You'll still have to get into the BIOS to disable the onboard USB stuff (if it was damaged by a power surge).

I'd consider a new mobo at this point - otherwise you'll just end up working with a bad mobo with a good USB card in it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users